Easy activation of Range Extender

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RExingIT

I've done the Eurospec coding on my i3 REx (thanks to DVD in Motion) and for easy access I marked it as a favorites button. I wanted to pass on this trick.

To do this, follow these steps.

1. Navigate to Menu/settings/ Range extender.
2. Hold down the favorites button that you want to use. I used 7. As usual, after a few seconds it will record your selection.

To activate the Range extender with your favorites button, push it twice in a row. First push brings up the list of favorites as usual, the second push less than a second or two later checks or un-checks the activation box on the range extender.

Nice and easy, saves all the time while on the road of trying to navigate to the specific menu. 2 pushes to turn it on, 2 pushes to turn it off.

Enjoy :D

RExingIT said:
I've done the Eurospec coding on my i3 REx (thanks to DVD in Motion) and for easy access I marked it as a favorites button. I wanted to pass on this trick.

To do this, follow these steps.

1. Navigate to Menu/settings/ Range extender.
2. Hold down the favorites button that you want to use. I used 7. As usual, after a few seconds it will record your selection.

To activate the Range extender with your favorites button, push it twice in a row. First push brings up the list of favorites as usual, the second push less than a second or two later checks or un-checks the activation box on the range extender.

Nice and easy, saves all the time while on the road of trying to navigate to the specific menu. 2 pushes to turn it on, 2 pushes to turn it off.

Enjoy :D

Great tip. What I have found on i8 is if you do a press and hold (shorter than to save preset) it will turn on/off the hold charge with one press.

I haven't coded my i3, and put Rex on/off on favourites button 8, as I described elsewhere.
But it needs only one push to toggle the setting, not two. maybe RExingIT is pressing the button for too long, so it needs a second press?

Yep, you are correct. I discovered I actually only have to push it once. If you just touch your finger to the button, you can see if the Range extender is running or not.

Thanks for the correction.

coupedncal said:
What a bummer those of us in the US who have not coded don't even have this secret Range Extender option in our Settings menu.

But you can and it is so easy!!!!

I have it and I live in the U.S.

Yesterday I set off for the airport with less than 75% SOC, hit the REx button as soon as I turned the car on and drove on the REx 3/4 of the way there and back. The REx ran out of fuel about 5 miles from home and I plugged in with over 50% remaining. I only needed to use this strategy because we forgot to plug in the car the night before and normally we can get to LAX and back on a full charge.

Dvdinmotion was well worth the $150 for the peace of mind. We can just jump into the car no matter the SOC and drive where ever we want.....

WoodlandHills said:
I have it and I live in the U.S.

Yesterday I set off for the airport with less than 75% SOC, hit the REx button as soon as I turned the car on and drove on the REx 3/4 of the way there and back. The REx ran out of fuel about 5 miles from home and I plugged in with over 50% remaining. I only needed to use this strategy because we forgot to plug in the car the night before and normally we can get to LAX and back on a full charge.

Dvdinmotion was well worth the $150 for the peace of mind. We can just jump into the car no matter the SOC and drive where ever we want.....

Just want to say that for $20 more Code My Car (created another thread) can do this and a list of other options you may want.

I just tried the same thing. I ran the REx tank down to about 1/8 left, maybe a bit more, and was able to put in 2.02 gallons. I figure it I ran it all the way down, I'd be able to put in 2.2 or 2.3.

KMP647 said:
I coded for rex control and have noted that after running the fuel tank dry (rex shuts down) I am only able to add between 2.15 and 2.30 gallons of fuel

most times even filling gently the pump shuts off at 1.99 to 2.10 gallons

if I add 2.3 gallons the fuel is all the way at the opening , does this match up with what everyone else sees?

I saw one fuel recpt from another owner that showed 2.45 gallons .

If the capacity if 2.4 gallons I doubt the car will allow the tank to run all the way down. I wonder what the reserve is before it shuts off.

newbie dumb question, but why do you want to run the rex when you still have battery left? ( I've ordered mine so curious)

davesw1 said:
newbie dumb question, but why do you want to run the rex when you still have battery left? ( I've ordered mine so curious)

You would run it when there's not enough battery range to reach destination (Nav will warn about this). So if you know you are going to need it, mMost owners prefer manual control over where in the route to run the REx. I prefer to run it only on highways as it is less noticeable with the road/wind noise and in cities around pedestrians it sounds goofy like a little weed trimmer or something. On highways no one can hear it.

Another concrete example of why to run it early - take a 60+ mile trip with significant uphill at the end (this is pretty common in the West). If you run the battery down to 6% before the REx engages, then you have a very small buffer of battery to climb the hills, as the demands on the car likely will outpace the ability of the REx to supply power. But if you ran the REx for 15-20 miles earlier in the trip, you'd have a larger battery buffer and you'll be able to climb the hills without reduced power. The REx consumption would end up being the same, but running it early makes for a better, faster, safer trip.

ah ok, I borrowed one for a weekend and ran it right down to run the rex and never noticed any drop in performance and I did hit some hills, it never seemed to drop below 3% left

davesw1 said:
ah ok, I borrowed one for a weekend and ran it right down to run the rex and never noticed any drop in performance and I did hit some hills, it never seemed to drop below 3% left

It doesn't seem to be a "usual" problem, but if there is enough load (say AC, lots of weight, uphill for a long time) you may bleed the battery down enough to get limited power.

One of the reasons to run on gas is if you are on an interstate and hit a big traffic jam. I drove from Westchester, NY to Chalottesville, VA this past week. 370 miles each way. As soon as I could I went on to gas (75%) in my case it was on the Jersey Tpk (I95) near the stadium. From then on I ran on gas. Right around DC with 37 miles of gas range left I hit a 90 minute traffic snarl. I made it to Tysons Corner, Virginia with 1 mile gas range left but 54 miles of electric as I had not run out of gas. I filled up 2.31 gallons and was back on my way. Doing the trip in reverse I miscalculated where the next highway gas stop was and I actually ran out of gas so I ran electric for 12 miles. Worked like a charm. But by far the best feature I did not appreciated on the i3 was the adaptive cruise. It let me set the cruise to 70 and when a car got in front of me that was either slower or was changing lanes the car compensated automatically and slowed or sped up appropriately. Really wonderful technology. I like this car for the highway BETTER than my 2015 Golf R and my 2015 STi! Electronics were great including internet and apps to see the news and other information.

While running with the REx, you're getting the equivalent of around 39mpg...and bringing down the overall efficiency of the vehicle by a long shot (from 117mpge). While there aren't too many vehicles sold in the USA that can achieve that value, there are lots of them elsewhere, so for longer distances, it is not the most efficient.

I do like the adaptive cruise control, and will likely bite the bullet and get it on my next car as well.

Quite right about efficiency but I could not make the whole trip on just electric without stopping several times for at least a couple of hours each time to recharge. By changing to gas early I have a cushion which protects from massive tie ups and allows effortless travel while still getting 39 to 43 mpg. AC was on the whole time in EcoPro and the cruise really helped. By allowing me to turn on the gas early I have a very flexible car that I can drive anywhere. Even long trips. And the nav is simply the best with so many wonderful options and internet access. Really enjoyed the drive. Will do the same drive next month. Looking forward to it.

Back