Driving from Georgia to California..

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djohne

hello everyone.
I currently live in Savannah, Ga but am soon moving back home to Mariposa, Ca.
I have considered swap-a-lease, but I do love the car and would like to keep it.
Shipping it was another option i have looked into, but it is rather expensive.

Does anyone have experience making long trips in an i3?

It's possible but might not be fun. Probably easier to get the car shipped, I bet you can get it to CA for around $1000.

If it's a REx, it's possible, but may not be the most fun. If it's a BEV, your average speeds won't be much better than a wagon train (well, not that bad, but bad!). There are places in the west that you will NOT find a level 2 EVSE, and might not find a place to plug in your OUC, and if you did, it would take nearly 20-hours to recharge before you could get going again. You could probably rent a truck and pull the thing (back wheels up - check with BMW first, though), or better, get a longer one and mount it on that trailer. Some moving companies will move your car along with your household goods. The thing is small enough that you could probably drive it into the back of a tractor trailer if you could get up to a dock.

Back