Turning OFF range extender hold mode

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinball

Had my first long trip (200 mi r/t) with the REx yesterday. It worked a treat. I have the Hold Mode saved to a preset. Also I've hit 1,000 miles and have filled up the tank one time to the tune of $6. :mrgreen:

One thing I don't understand yet is how to properly turn OFF hold mode. When I used the preset, nothing happened. When I then entered the Auto eDrive menu and tried disabling it there, nothing happened. Seems like it would only turn off 30-60 seconds after if the first attempt. It was around 50% SoC so low charge was not a factor.

Is there something with the REx where you have to wait 30 seconds for it to respond to the command to turn off? If so, it's odd there are no messages or any indication to the user that it has "heard" the command. That's poor UI.

spinball said:
On was instant, but off took me several attempts.

I just saw the same thing the other day. Multiple attempts at off did nothing, then when I checked it was off. Maybe there is a "cycle" that needs to complete, or maybe it runs until the charge (which can temporarily drop) returns to level when turned on?

epirali said:
spinball said:

I just saw the same thing the other day. Multiple attempts at off did nothing, then when I checked it was off. Maybe there is a "cycle" that needs to complete, or maybe it runs until the charge (which can temporarily drop) returns to level when turned on?

Depending on temperature the Rex will continue to run on a cool down cycle sometimes for me, other times it just shuts off.

Next time I will have to tell it to turn off and then wait a minute to see if it follows my instruction. It's very odd though for it to not respond at all. I'd expect it to give a long German-style message corresponding with "please wait".

mindmachine said:
epirali said:
spinball said:

Depending on temperature the Rex will continue to run on a cool down cycle sometimes for me, other times it just shuts off.

In my case it may have been a warm-up, I only ran it for a minute to test hold, so it may have stayed on for a bit longer.

In my case it may have been a warm-up, I only ran it for a minute to test hold, so it may have stayed on for a bit longer.

Correct behaviour of REX

uktechie said:

Correct behaviour of REX

It still is a bit confusing, a small note or warning saying "please wait" would be a lot more sensical then just looking like its ignoring the function.

I have the same experience (REX not turning off immediately when so instructed). I think it tries to get the SOC to at or near the point where the REX was turned on. Or perhaps the other theories expressed here are correct. My point is only that this seems like normal behavior as mine consistently behaves this way.

Back