Drive Train Code while on Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

Tonight, after running through my battery on the Interstate, I was on a local road and noted that the gas engine sounded like it was taxed, even though I was only doing 50. It calmed down finally, but a few minutes later, (back on Interstate at 70) a warning code for Drive Train popped up telling me to keep driving but to contact BMW. The warning screen showed the center portion of the engine/axel layout.

Anyone else gotten this?

At 1 year and 8500 mile.

BUMWA, this happened to mine!! I live in the US, and was driving to Palm Springs, California for the weekend. About midway through the weekend I got that message, and it kept popping up everytime I turned on the car. I took it into the dealership a few days later and they kept it for a look. Turns out that something broke on the Drive Train and had to be ordered from Germany. Two weeks later, I have my car back and it is working again.

If you haven't yet, I would take it in to the dealership.

I have had a second event of this "Drive Train Malfunction" code/warning, but this time the Rex did not sound labored. In both instances, it occurred while on Rex (at 70 mph) and I got home fine, recharged and found the code gone the next morning.

I took it in for State inspection on its birthday and had them check it out. Unfortunately, it was just about fully charged, so they sent me away in a new 3 series and said they were going to send mine home with the service manager (who also drives one) to get the battery down to a <30% charge so they could perform the required tests. Preliminary testing showed a high-voltage cable may be faulting but that they would need to perform more tests to confirm or deny that.

So, I have an unlimited range 328 for the weekend......ah, where to wander?

Will report on findings.

YUP. It was the high voltage cable running from the Rex to the generator (or battery?). Not an unanticipated problem as a bulletin has been issued on it. My dealer ordered a cable in advance of actual testing which had to be done after they ran the battery down to <30% (service manager drove it home, and since he has one himself, that was reassuring). Anyway the new cable was installed and I'm running on all cylinders at full voltage.

Oh, and I wandered to VT, and it pained me to put $35 worth of gas in the 328 before I returned it.

Back