siphon gas

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrgjr

I seen couple post on gas stabilizers an running tank empty now and then.. has anyone thought about every 6 months siphon the gas out (put used gas into my truck waste not what not :) ) then replace with fresh treated gas, I just put in a ClipperCreek 240 volt 32amp ESVE and don't see me using the ReX range extender much.. Any thoughts?

Gasoline denaturing due to oxidation and moisture is minimized in the i3 due to its pressurized fuel tank / delivery system. Even in conventional cars, gasoline is generally good for about a year, depending on conditions.

Don't worry about it...

The REX will also enter into a "maintenance mode" every once in a while if it doesn't get run. I think its something like 10 minutes of running. This will only happen if the battery is a 75% or below. The car knows that it can't just leave gas sitting around in the engine.

Due to the pressurized nature of the i3 fuel system anyone have any thoughts or information whether it is better to leave a mostly unused tank almost full. almost empty, or the third obvious option half full?

If you are worried, do the european mod for the car that enables you to do "Hold Charge" at 75% or less battery. Requires some computer knowledge and a programming cable ($20). There are a few people that do this for you as well ($100 or so).
Once you hit about 75% battery, basically you push a button and it starts the range extender. Let it run while you drive until you run out of gas and refill.

I don't suppose there is any chance that the US version will someday allow our REX to go to the Euro version so we can run the gen when we want. :| :|

I don't suppose there is any chance that the US version will someday allow our REX to go to the Euro version so we can run the gen when we want. :| :|

No there is zero chance of that happening. The credits from CARB for restricting the Rex are worth hundreds of millions, the needs of the customers don't count for much stacked against that. Just consider it an additional tax and send $150 or whatever to Dvdinmotion.com and get your REx unlocked. Then you can run it pretty much whenever you want.

WoodlandHills said:
No there is zero chance of that happening. The credits from CARB for restricting the Rex are worth hundreds of millions...
You have any reference to prove that claim? I'm sure that BMW does receive credits for the i3, but I seriously doubt it is in that order of magnitude. Prove me wrong...that would equate to nearly many thousands$/per i3 sold in those states. The REx is rated at 40g/mile, and based on say 12K mile/year, that's about 1/2T. Carbon credits are about $40/T on the open market...not sure what CARB gets, so that's about $20/car/year in carbon credits. If you took a normal ICE at maybe 4x the carbon footprint, that's $80/year in carbon use, and BMW sells LOTS more of them (in the order of 20x) than the i3.

Tax credits were only one part of the reason they chose to put those restrictions on the REx.

jadnashuanh said:
WoodlandHills said:
No there is zero chance of that happening. The credits from CARB for restricting the Rex are worth hundreds of millions...
You have any reference to prove that claim? I'm sure that BMW does receive credits for the i3, but I seriously doubt it is in that order of magnitude. Prove me wrong...that would equate to nearly many thousands$/per i3 sold in those states. The REx is rated at 40g/mile, and based on say 12K mile/year, that's about 1/2T. Carbon credits are about $40/T on the open market...not sure what CARB gets, so that's about $20/car/year in carbon credits. If you took a normal ICE at maybe 4x the carbon footprint, that's $80/year in carbon use, and BMW sells LOTS more of them (in the order of 20x) than the i3.

Tax credits were only one part of the reason they chose to put those restrictions on the REx.

I don't know where you got your figures, but based on the i3 app it calculates approximately 1200 lbs of CO2 saved per 2000 miles. So that translates to about 7200 lbs per 12000 miles. So that is 6 ton saved at your $40/ ton or $240. And you sure got my attention, just what are the other reasons for the Rex restrictions other than to satisfy the California CARB board. If BMW and California officials knew the i3 Rex would not qualify for the white sticker in the beginning, but would get the green sticker; what then were the other real reasons you speak of??

Plus I still disagree with you on the value of the i3 sales to BMW or any other company who wants to sell gas engines, it amounts to the ability to sell cars rather than the cost of the carb credits, at least that what I thought. Why else would the likes of Honda and Toyota invest so much in the risky business of developing a hydrogen car for CARB credits or?

jadnashuanh said:
WoodlandHills said:

wow, no response from jadnashuanh

I don't spend my whole day online!

The REx, when activated, produces about 40g/mile. Not talking about the unassisted mileage and what being electric verses an ICE would take. So, for the REx itself, I think my numbers are correct, and then, consider that few people would be using the REx for the major portion of the miles they drive. Just being an EV does produce credits, and probably substantial ones, but nowhere near the thousands/car MORE on a REx verses a BEV. Stating that BMW caved to CARB for hundreds of millions $ in EXTRA credits for the i3 REx (verses the BEV) seems unfounded.

Could they have forgone those credits on the REx, certainly. Would they then need to raise the price of the car to produce the same profit margins, certainly. Would it affect sales, certainly, but maybe not enough to warrant the change. They had hoped CARB would see some reason, but their rules are hard and fast. THus, when they first announced availability of the car, they did not distinguish any differences in the REx implementation from the rest of the world...it was only after that had been resolved with CARB (before any USA sales), did they announce the capabilities as were delivered.

I still contend, and BMW's advertising seems to back me up, the intent of the car was primarily as a short-range, commuter car, not a cross-country vehicle or an ICE replacement. Given that, they included the REx option as a crutch for people that had range anxiety. If they'd wanted it to be an ICE replacement, they'd have put in a larger motor (quieter, more refined) and a bigger gas tank. Using it for other purposes can certainly be done, but to gripe about it not being designed for that, or hobbling the limited capability...it was delivered as specified. If you bought one before the final specs were out, tough. Every manufacturer says somewhere in the fine print that they specs are subject to change, and you really need to investigate what you're buying to verify it will meet your expectations.

jadnashuanh said:
I don't spend my whole day online!

The REx, when activated, produces about 40g/mile. Not talking about the unassisted mileage and what being electric verses an ICE would take. So, for the REx itself, I think my numbers are correct, and then, consider that few people would be using the REx for the major portion of the miles they drive. Just being an EV does produce credits, and probably substantial ones, but nowhere near the thousands/car MORE on a REx verses a BEV. Stating that BMW caved to CARB for hundreds of millions $ in EXTRA credits for the i3 REx (verses the BEV) seems unfounded.

Could they have forgone those credits on the REx, certainly. Would they then need to raise the price of the car to produce the same profit margins, certainly. Would it affect sales, certainly, but maybe not enough to warrant the change. They had hoped CARB would see some reason, but their rules are hard and fast. THus, when they first announced availability of the car, they did not distinguish any differences in the REx implementation from the rest of the world...it was only after that had been resolved with CARB (before any USA sales), did they announce the capabilities as were delivered.

I still contend, and BMW's advertising seems to back me up, the intent of the car was primarily as a short-range, commuter car, not a cross-country vehicle or an ICE replacement. Given that, they included the REx option as a crutch for people that had range anxiety. If they'd wanted it to be an ICE replacement, they'd have put in a larger motor (quieter, more refined) and a bigger gas tank. Using it for other purposes can certainly be done, but to gripe about it not being designed for that, or hobbling the limited capability...it was delivered as specified. If you bought one before the final specs were out, tough. Every manufacturer says somewhere in the fine print that they specs are subject to change, and you really need to investigate what you're buying to verify it will meet your expectations.

sorry, just wanted your opinion. i just lost the top of my ear today and was really pointed, sorry and yes skin cancer.

Back