Trouble using keyless entry on driver side

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svjoshi

On Day 1 of my i3's birth, My son was so thrilled with the 1-touch unlock feature, he did it multiple times on the driver side. It now only works on the passenger side. Is there a way to reset on the driver side ?

Well, 3 hours later, It just needed some time,
apparently, to reset? and it now works. Whew. Anyone else ever encounter this?

I was having a similar issue when I first got the car, occasionally the door would require 2 or more pulls to open it, or simply not open.
Two different things were happening preventing the door opening.

1. I was pulling the handle to quickly and had to train myself to pause for barely a half of a second after inserting fingers and then pull handle.
This eventually became automatic and seamless to the point I don't even notice the pause.

2. When using my left hand and inserting my fingers on the inside I was also placing my thumb on the outside of the handle at the locking ridges, in this case the door never opened.

Opening the door was initially frustrating for me until I read about this on a different post a while back.

I do realize your issue may be different, but posted this incase it helps.

svjoshi said:
Well, 3 hours later, It just needed some time,
apparently, to reset? and it now works. Whew. Anyone else ever encounter this?

I had the opposite happen early on in ownership... the passenger door Comfort Access wouldn't respond to my hand one day... I just left it alone and it was working fine the next day *shrug*

FWIW, I have two BMW's, and if I carry both fobs in the same pocket, the i3 doesn't respond. I find a similar situation if I carry it in the same pocket as my smartphone. Works fine otherwise. I think they tried to optimize every power drain on the car, and the comfort access module in the car may as a result have lower power than some other cars, and you may need to wait for it to come out of hibernation mode before it can do its thing. This is all a guess, but the reaction to other rf producing things is real, at least for me with mine.

I don’t have any problem with having both car’s keys in my pocket but the phone does seem to interfere some times. That said I did work out early on that the hand positions have to be quite accurate otherwise the car is not sure wether to try to open or lock the door!

You need to be aware of where your hand and fingers are...it gets confused if you are touching both the 'open' and the 'close' sensors at the same time. It's easy to have your thumb on the lock ridges when you grab the door, depending on which hand and which side of the car you are trying to open.

Back