when driving rex range changes and charge changes

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4wheels

While driving 10 / 15 miles - both the charge distance changes and the rex range changes.

Why?

Why should rex range change when the rex was not used?

i think it equates to your driving style at the time ie if you whooping it it will go down.

Exactly as the previous poster stated. Both ranges are estimates based on previous and current driving styles.

The mileage shown is just the car's estimate. Once you've got used to driving the car you'll know whether you're likely to do 3.5, 4, 4.5 or 5miles/kWhr depending on what kind of journey you're planning. If the car is charged up then you have 18kWhrs x what you expect to achieve - 63, 72, 81, or 90 miles (and maybe a bit more).

If an ICE vehicle has range to empty and you are watching it, it will change, sometimes radically, as you drive, depending on conditions as well. This shouldn't really surprise anyone...how you drive plays a major impact on how far you can go before you need to 'fillup'. Why it should be different on an EV, well, it isn't! In all cases, it's just an estimate, and only you know how you're going to drive in the future, but the car assumes you are going to continue as you have been which may not be true.

Your REx range changes since all the REx does is produce electricity (pretty much a fixed amount per gallon by design - the engine generally has 2 optimized speeds, one for moderate output and one for max output). The Range is based on how you are consuming electricity, not gas, so your driving style and history affect the total range (battery charge plus electricity that comes out of REx).

Back