Intermittent rear right door open indicator

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macgreiner

As of today I think I have done 100 miles in my new i3. One thing I have noticed is an annoying rear door indicator even though I have recluse the right rear door multiple times to rectify. It seems to go away and then pop up again with no discernible rhythm. Posting to find out if this is a known problem or not.

It's known that the rear doors need a good old slam to turn off the "door open" warning. Don't believe that having it come on intermittently is a known problem.

Close it with a little authority, and see if it still happens. If it does, the sensor needs an adjustment or the latching mechanism, but I think you'll have to just get used to closing it a little harder. Especially when new, the rubber seals have to be compressed a fair amount to get it to fully latch.

Like others said, close the door with some authority. But also make sure the belt is straight and not twisted.

I've had a few instances where I slammed the back door shut but it still showed open. I then turned the belt and re-adjusted it (pulled it out and let it retract back in) and then closed the door again, and all was fine.

Mine does this occasionally ... the 2nd try always works.

100_5046-XL.jpg

;)

Drivers-side on mine. I use it every day and everyday it tells me it is still open, it is VERY frustrating sometimes. I shouldn't have to SLAM it every time.

It takes a firm hand when closing the rear doors. The latch on that door is quite heavy duty as it is what supports the front door as well in a crash. I normally only notice it on the passenger's side, but have had it happen on both. Once you get used to it (at least for me), I can close it sufficiently to latch it properly without slamming it nearly 100% of the time. It's worst when new since the rubber is still very resilient. It does improve a little with age, but that may also be just getting used to it!

Back