jadnashuanh

Re: 1st rex in the country, not charging... please help

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:19 pm

An EVSE internally from the factory (sometimes it is user adjustable, and sometimes, it is adjusted automatically if it 'sees' one of it's special adapter plugs) is set to announce a maximum output in amps to the vehicle. A level 1 EVSE is designed to only work on 120 +/- a certain range of voltage. A level 2 EVSE is designed to work on 240 +/- a certain voltage. Unless modified internally, and most are not user adjustable, they output a specific signal that tells the connected vehicle something like "I have 30A max available". It is the VEHICLE that then decides how much power to try to pull from the EVSE. The EVSE is just a moderately smart on/off switch. The EVSE does NOT adjust itself, except in fairly rare cases.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

louisgrenier

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:46 am

Thanks for the reply both of you.

A remark: on some 110 evse, there is a button to control the maximum wattage. The Smart comes with such EVSE. So when i plug my i3 on the same circuit than the Smart, i have to reduce charging power from the i3 menu, and from the EVSE of the Smart. In fact, each time you plug the Smart EVSE, it does start to charge at something that draws around 750 watt. You have to push a button if you want to double the charge to maximum 110v charge power.

louisgrenier

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:04 am

So ?! What is your situation now ?

Louis

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”