kalybron

i3 Maintenance Costs

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:36 am

Hi all. I am planing to buy i3 with REX. I just wondering what are the costs of maintenance for i3 and which component will be changed until 50 000 or 100 000 miles? Could you give some info about your experience?

Kiwi

Re: i3 Maintenance Costs

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:50 am

kalybron wrote:Hi all. I am planing to buy i3 with REX. I just wondering what are the costs of maintenance for i3 and which component will be changed until 50 000 or 100 000 miles? Could you give some info about your experience?

100,000 miles :o Do you understand how many charges and how many trips that would be around 1600 give or take how you use the rex engine. It will be a long time before an i3 reaches 100,000 miles. The question would be how many tires would have been used as this will be the biggest single cost other than insurance.

It's a motor bike engine so going by most BMW Taiwan made motor bike engines it could be a lot or not much. It all depends if it's used much but it will be at least every 2-3 months which is automatic to use up the petrol before is goes off in the tank.

psquare

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi kalybron

Welcome to the forum.

It might make sense to update your profile or tell us where you live, as maintenance costs and offers can vary for territories. I live in the UK and purchased my i3 REx with a service package, which covers the 2 services in the first 5 years. It cost me £375 and covers labour and fluids (incl for the REx).

I've had my car for almost a year now and am just over 14k miles, of which 92.3% were electric. Looking at the community stats in the BMW app, the highest mileage appears to be 53k miles, so assuming these drivers had their cars from the beginning, some have covered these distances in roughly 2 years!

Realistically, you'll have to make more service allowances for a REx, as it is a traditional engine and will cause you more issues over time, when compared to the pure EV. Having said that, it is too early in the lifespan of the BEV and REx to make reliable statements about this.

Hope this helps, keep us updated.

jadnashuanh

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Where you are will help!

In the USA, everything is covered for the first 4-years or 50K.

Oil changes, spark plugs, antifreeze, brake fluid, brakes...most normal things on any car, but the REx only has two sparkplugs, so that can help. It does take a bit more labor to access it, so that hurts.

Removed 'tires' from the list, as I was mistaken. Keep in mind, though, that the tire manufacturer's warranty may still apply and provide some relief if there is a problem. Also note that if there is an alignment issue, if noted before 1K miles, BMW will cover that as well. It will not cover that after 1K.
Last edited by jadnashuanh on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

cmj912

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:05 pm

jadnashuanh wrote:Where you are will help!

In the USA, everything is covered for the first 4-years or 50K.

Oil changes, spark plugs, antifreeze, brake fluid, tires, brakes...most normal things on any car, but the REx only has two sparkplugs, so that can help. It does take a bit more labor to access it, so that hurts.

do you mean everything except Oil changes, spark plugs, antifreeze, brake fluid, tires, and brakes? i was led to believe I'd have to buy all these things.

jadnashuanh

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:42 pm

It's my understanding that in the USA, there are NO user costs for any maintenance during the 4-year warranty period. Now, BMW has said that starting sometime this year (don't remember the exact date), brake pads will no longer be covered, but at this time, they are also included. This also includes things like wiper blades (annually). http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/ ... rride=true
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

cmj912

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:58 am

jadnashuanh wrote:It's my understanding that in the USA, there are NO user costs for any maintenance during the 4-year warranty period. Now, BMW has said that starting sometime this year (don't remember the exact date), brake pads will no longer be covered, but at this time, they are also included. This also includes things like wiper blades (annually). http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/ ... rride=true

I just wondered because you said "tires" in your post.

Exclusions from coverage include the following:
Items reimbursable under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Gasoline and diesel fuel
Gasoline and diesel fuel additive
Diesel glow plugs
Diesel particulate filter
Windshield washer additive (except when in conjunction with scheduled maintenance)
Tires, wheel alignment, tire balance and rotation

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”