Rex low oil?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOEd said:
imolazhp said:
Only the dealer, lmao.

I plan to do my own REx oil change in about 6 weeks.

I would like to do so also. Can you please post procedure eith photos? It would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

Why would either of you want to change your own oil at this point? It's a free service included with all BMWs for the first 4 years of ownership...

SSi3 said:
TOEd said:
imolazhp said:
Only the dealer, lmao.

I plan to do my own REx oil change in about 6 weeks.

I would like to do so also. Can you please post procedure eith photos? It would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

Why would either of you want to change your own oil at this point? It's a free service included with all BMWs for the first 4 years of ownership...

It is very confusing actually, some owners have been told the REx oil change is only covered for 24 months, some have been told 12. I was initially told 24 months and now my car has told BMW it is time to have it changed. So I will be letting them do it for free. But do keep in mind not all countries have free maintenance, so there are probably some REx owners out there that will be changing their own oil. I've had the shield/cover off as well as the bumper off it seems like it would be straight forward. But I'll let BMW do it for free since I live in the US and apparently it is covered. I recall another owner that was told every 12 months but his car was running a software version that said every 24 months, he was very upset because his physical owners manual said 12 months. I believe my physical owners manual says 24 months. At some point I think they decided just to go ahead an make it every 12, so long as you are running a later software version I guess.

On BMW's ICE vehicles, at least my dealer will change the oil at 12-months, or when the computer says, whichever comes first. No idea on the REx, but with the infrequent use on many, time may be a more reliable indication than mileage.

On early 2014 Rex's the interval was 24 months, but then BMW revised that to 12 months, in North America at least.

After 3334 km of highway driving on REx (in two months), i3 oil was pitch black. As I believe that first oil change is critical to long life, and free dealer oil change is unlikely for many months, I chose to do it myself.

Sucked out 2.5 litres through dipstik tube and put 2.5 litres of fresh oil back in through same dipstick tube. Couldn't find an oil fill like on most engines. Hardest part was putting oil back in without spilling it.

My oil suckers (I have two) have been used for 11 years to change oil on our 05 smart diesel and our 1984 i/o boat. Most i/o boats have their oil changed this way due to clearance issues. I owned an oil sucker over 45 years ago when it consisted of a small pump that I attached to a drill.

TOEd said:
After 3334 km of highway driving on REx (in two months), i3 oil was pitch black. As I believe that first oil change is critical to long life, and free dealer oil change is unlikely for many months, I chose to do it myself.

Sucked out 2.5 litres through dipstik tube and put 2.5 litres of fresh oil back in through same dipstick tube. Couldn't find an oil fill like on most engines. Hardest part was putting oil back in without spilling it.

My oil suckers (I have two) have been used for 11 years to change oil on our 05 smart diesel and our 1984 i/o boat. Most i/o boats have their oil changed this way due to clearance issues. I owned an oil sucker over 45 years ago when it consisted of a small pump that I attached to a drill.

Wow Ed you're really giving the Rex a workout! Glad to see that since I don't yet have confidence in the reliability of the Rex after some teething problems in the first few months of owning it.

I only put 1900kms on the Rex in the first 12 months of ownership (11,000kms total), so my usage will line up nicely with the annual change.

My car wanted its first oil change 12 months after production (not delivery, which has only been 8 months). In that time I'd only run the range extender for about 30 minutes total, so it seemed like kind of a waste but I did it anyway since BMW paid for it.

The oil can accumulate some moisture over time, and because the engine doesn't run all that often or for long, that can lead to eating up the buffers in there, and become acidic (worst case, it takes awhile). So, to be on the safe side, BMW recommends annual oil changes if you do not hit the mileage/service limits for pretty much all of their cars.

For anyone interested in changing their oil filter: it is a Mahle OC306. Best price I could find is $10.49 Cdn on Amazon.ca with free shipping on orders >$25.

Back