Pollution using REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscurtis

Using a rex , according to what I understand, you are only doing 13gms of co2 per km.
This is about one tenth of what an average ice family saloon does and as things are at the moment you don't have to pay road fund duty if under about 100 gms per km.
So as far as I can see you are still helping to 'save the planet' when using the rex.
I have also found that when stuck in a traffic jam for say an hour its best to swap back to the battery since almost no electricity is used while stationary in a jam. You also don't have to listen to the rex ticking over making the car sound like a motor bike. Most of my daily trips are well within the cars battery range but on occasional longer journeys I swap to the rex at 75% charge, as we can in the UK, and leave it there just topping up with petrol about every hour. Top ups of 1 to 2 gallons only take a few minutes and can't be considered inconvenient if you only do longer journeys say once a month.
Just wondered if my logic and figures are correct?

BC

The figure of 13g/km is an average - just as the quoted MPG figure of 471 is. When the REx is actually running, it will do around 45-50 MPG, which would be equivalent to over 100g/km - probably 130 or so.

Back