So warranty does not follow used car?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

A little disappointed but I will get over it. I figured warranty really covers infantile problems. It just moves self-maintenance forward.

Bob Wilson

The full warranty should apply to a used car. There are some limitations like incorrect new car wheel alignment being covered only for the first 2,000 miles or so which is understandable since an owner could do something that would make correct alignment incorrect which certainly wouldn't be BMW's responsibility. What sort of infantile problem was not covered by your warranty?

With 7100 miles, I was surprised to see the inner tread of the driver side tire already at the wear strips. The vehicle record shows the passenger side tire had been replaced. Still, I am familiar with how used car tires are often a new owner replacement item.

I've got an appointment scheduled for Friday to have a four-wheel alignment, $190. But I am thinking about getting four new tires ordered and combining the new tires with the four-wheel alignment.

I'll measure all four tire, tread depths this evening and decide based upon what I find. Visually, there is wear on the rear tires but nothing like the driver side, inner tread.

Bob Wilson

I think that passing through the warranty on a used car was one of the things BMW changed in the last year or so. IF it is a CPO'ed car, though, you get a warranty, but because the dealer ends up paying for that, the price of the used car often is higher.

New car limited "bumper to bumper" warranty follows the car.

The free maintenance warranty is only available to the first owner.

eneka said:
New car limited "bumper to bumper" warranty follows the car.

The free maintenance warranty is only available to the first owner.
I don't understand what the "bumper to bumper" means for the subsequent owners? Just parts but not labor? Some mix?

Bob Wilson

The service advisor clarified that 'manufacturer warranty', 4 yrs/50k miles goes with the car. It is only an 'extended warranty' that stays with just the original buyer. This makes sense.

Bob Wilson

FWIW, the 4-year warranty on new BMWs in the USA is history on new models...they've lowered it to 3-years if I read the press release correctly.

Back