REX Question... Could I drive 100 or 200 miles on REX alone?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goto35

If i keep filling up the tank every 30-40 miles, could I fill up and drive 100-200 miles straight on REX motor?

Some people say yes some people say no. Lets say If i drive 150mile round trip could i do it without electricty and just rex once my power runs out?

Yes. We use our I3 REx to drive 500 miles each way from PA to NC and return, once a month.
Have done this now for about a year.
When we started there were only 2 Fast Chargers en route. Now there are 4.
The longest REx only stint was 240 miles. Just fill up with gasoline every 60/65 miles or so.

edit: Forgot to add that we have the dvdinmotion REx setting hack so that we let the battery go down to 25% or so & then use the REx as required.

No problem but best done at 65 mph:
  • 40 MPG - gives about 70-80 mile range, an hour
  • 15 min refueling - generally ~1.5 gallons, fills fast (no leaving pump on to take a pee)
  • 50 mph block-to-block - use this as the planning speed to include fuel breaks

Strongly recommend the 'code' to allow starting the REx early, 70-75%, so you'll have plenty of power for passing and hills. If you wait for the CARB level, 6-7%, the battery may run out of power just when you need it.

Speeds above 65 mph make only a marginal improvement in block-to-block time because the 15 minute refueling. Worse, it can lower traction battery SOC rapidly. For example at 75 mph, I lost 20% SOC and the block-to-block time barely added 5 mph over the 65 mph speed. Feel comfortable and relaxed at 65 mph and you'll be OK even without the REx 'code.'

Bob Wilson

Back