is la to vegas possible on REX?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best done with the REx 'code' so you can preserve the traction battery charge for hill climbs. Also, cruise at 65 mph and the REx will handle it including A/C. Faster and you'll cut into the battery charge early and that can be ... disappointing.

At 65 mph, you'll get about 40 MPG and the block-to-block time will be about 50 mph. Run to the last fuel bar and take the next station for about 1.5 gallons and a short pee break.

Bob Wilson

thanks so much bob. I am so excited!

Hey is there a difference between dvdinmotion and the codemy car?

Which coding service should i go with!?

Perfectly do-able if you code the 2.4gal tank and HSOC. Without both, you'll have a hard time when climbimg the mountains and probably go into power reduction mode.

Here's my trip from a few months ago, I posted it on the i3 Socal facebook group.

Just finished my trip from LA to Vegas and back in my Coded REX. It was actually a joy to drive, and though at times was shoved and pushed around, it was still nicely planted. The steering is quite heavy at high speeds! I had ACC set at 74mph and at times trailed tractor trailers and learned quite a few things. If you merge out without signaling, the ACC will take a while before "losing" sight of the car in front and accelerate. However, if you flip on your signal, as soon as you turn the steering wheel, it'll start accelerating back to your set speed. Very smooth experience
Driving there, the REX has no problem keep up when i enabled it at 75%. Left the victorville evgo DCFC with about 87%~ or so and a full tank. Was planning to stop by Barstow to fill up gas but drove right by without needing to get gas. Go to Baker to fill up and had about 68% battery and a empty tank. Filled up 2.1 gallons ($4/gal!) and headed out with HSOC immediately activated. Ran out of gas as we entered Vegas and pulled into the Cosmopolitan Valet with about 50% battery and 0 gas. Handed them my OUC and they charged it back up to 100%
Before leaving today to roamed around to downtown and started out journey back with about 85% SOC and again enabled rex at 75%. Going back, boy did it work the rex. Stopped at a rest stop between Primm and Baker with about 1/2 tank of gas and ~60% SOC. It was also then when I learned that buckling the seatbelt behind and opening the door will NOT keep the SOC. Granted it didn't matter much since the rex wouldn't get it back to 75% either way. Ran out of gas before hitting baker and used the battery down to about 40%. Filled up again at baker with 2.1 gallon @ $4/gal. As we approached Calico, we decided to make a small detour to checkout the ghost town. That used up the last couple of miles provided by the rex and filled up there with about 40% SOC and then we set off for the Victorville DCFC. Lots and lots of hill climbing. Halfway there, I decided to turn off HSOC let the battery drop to 12% before enabling rex. And while climbing the hill you just watch the number drop and drop and drop....down to 2% which was when the power reduction possibility warning came up, just as we exited the highway onto the ramp i saw the power bars start decreasing. Luckily hit the DCFC with ~4% charge and 1/2 tank of gas left. Charged up to 86% and headed home!

eneka said:
Perfectly do-able if you code the 2.4gal tank and HSOC. Without both, you'll have a hard time when climbimg the mountains and probably go into power reduction mode.

Here's my trip from a few months ago, I posted it on the i3 Socal facebook group.

Just finished my trip from LA to Vegas and back in my Coded REX. It was actually a joy to drive, and though at times was shoved and pushed around, it was still nicely planted. The steering is quite heavy at high speeds! I had ACC set at 74mph and at times trailed tractor trailers and learned quite a few things. If you merge out without signaling, the ACC will take a while before "losing" sight of the car in front and accelerate. However, if you flip on your signal, as soon as you turn the steering wheel, it'll start accelerating back to your set speed. Very smooth experience
Driving there, the REX has no problem keep up when i enabled it at 75%. Left the victorville evgo DCFC with about 87%~ or so and a full tank. Was planning to stop by Barstow to fill up gas but drove right by without needing to get gas. Go to Baker to fill up and had about 68% battery and a empty tank. Filled up 2.1 gallons ($4/gal!) and headed out with HSOC immediately activated. Ran out of gas as we entered Vegas and pulled into the Cosmopolitan Valet with about 50% battery and 0 gas. Handed them my OUC and they charged it back up to 100%
Before leaving today to roamed around to downtown and started out journey back with about 85% SOC and again enabled rex at 75%. Going back, boy did it work the rex. Stopped at a rest stop between Primm and Baker with about 1/2 tank of gas and ~60% SOC. It was also then when I learned that buckling the seatbelt behind and opening the door will NOT keep the SOC. Granted it didn't matter much since the rex wouldn't get it back to 75% either way. Ran out of gas before hitting baker and used the battery down to about 40%. Filled up again at baker with 2.1 gallon @ $4/gal. As we approached Calico, we decided to make a small detour to checkout the ghost town. That used up the last couple of miles provided by the rex and filled up there with about 40% SOC and then we set off for the Victorville DCFC. Lots and lots of hill climbing. Halfway there, I decided to turn off HSOC let the battery drop to 12% before enabling rex. And while climbing the hill you just watch the number drop and drop and drop....down to 2% which was when the power reduction possibility warning came up, just as we exited the highway onto the ramp i saw the power bars start decreasing. Luckily hit the DCFC with ~4% charge and 1/2 tank of gas left. Charged up to 86% and headed home!

thanks for posting

Back