REX coding...how many miles can i drive filling up every 2gl

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goto35

So if i do the coding. Turn it on and fill up every 60 miles or until empty how long can i drive the car till the power is 0?

If i turn it on at 75%. Can i theoretically drive 500 miles or so without charge?

Yes in theory you can drive forever but as has been pointed out in other posts on here, the ReX is a 34hp engine so it cannot provide power requirements in excess of this for any length of time without SoC falling as the battery supplements it. The problem with dropping the SoC to 6% (the standard US coding) is that you will have little reserve for prolonged hill climbs etc. Switching it in at 75% for instance provides a huge buffer to cope with this sort of demand but you still need to revert to an economical driving style ASAP or the SoC will eventually bottom out leaving you with a 1950's VW Camper Van ;)

Each time you stop the car and turn it off, whatever SOC you have, is the maximum the car will try to attain if you enable the hold function after coding. So, depending on how and when you refuel, and the SOC when you stopped, you will probably be continually having the SOC drop, maybe, into the critical zone. Some leave the car running while refueling, but that may be illegal, and is unsafe if the REx is running, plus, no idea if the REx was still running, if it would let you open the pressurized fuel system. I don't have a REx, don't feel it's useful for my situation, but everyone's situation is different.

But, you can slide out the passenger's door and keep the car running if you don't have the extra cup holder in place, or if it is, with a bit more difficulty. Worst case, it will try to recoup to 6%, which would put you at the same situation as those that have not recoded their car...might work fine, depending on the terrain and your driving technique even then.

jadnashuanh said:
Each time you stop the car and turn it off, whatever SOC you have, is the maximum the car will try to attain if you enable the hold function after coding.

Really? Good lord, what a poor marketing decision. Screw you, California, for your stupid rules about EV credits...

My benchmarks indicate:
  • 65 mph - you'll get 40 MPG and very little or no SOC loss.
  • 75 mph - you'll get 32 MPG and lose 20% SOC on each cycle.

Use a Prius trick, follow, DO NOT TAILGATE, trucks. Use the automatic cruise control set at a long distance so you can dodge any road debris that shows up behind the truck. Use them as a pacing vehicle and you can drive coast-to-coast and back again on the REx. Even going up a hill, semi-trailer truck power-to-weight ratio is Prius perfect and my one test on I-40, it also works for the BMW i3-REx too. Just follow them up the truck climbing lane.

Bob Wilson

The car will try to recoup to the 6% point, but not further if you have the 'stock' code. If you've coded your car and not shut it off, it remembers the point at which you asked it to hold, but it will not go above that. Each time the car turns on, the hold function defaults to off, so that old value is lost, and whatever you currently have becomes the new, current max when you reactivate it. At least that's how it has been explained by others. As a result, it is entirely possible to ratchet the SOC down and down even though you might have a lot of gas in the tank by shutting it off periodically to do whatever, refuel, eat, rest stop, etc. COrrect me if I'm wrong.

Modifying the coding just enables the way it works elsewhere.

On the soon to be released 7-series with e-drive, they give you the option to recharge the batteries to a user specified level (up to 100%), but they have a significantly larger engine designed to drive the car on its own, unlike the method used in the REx. The difference between a car designed for short-range, city work verses one designed to augment an ICE. While people use it for longer trips, the i3 with the range-extender REx has the engine to help overcome range anxiety, not be a no compromises replacement for an ICE that you can fill up and just keep going without issues. If you can live with the restrictions, you can use it as an ICE replacement...if you can't, nothing currently available is going to change it into one that can...it's just the way it works. Take it or leave it.

Schnort said:
jadnashuanh said:
Each time you stop the car and turn it off, whatever SOC you have, is the maximum the car will try to attain if you enable the hold function after coding.

Really? Good lord, what a poor marketing decision. Screw you, California, for your stupid rules about EV credits...
With the SOC hold enabled I don't really see any value in burning the gasoline to recharge the batteries.

gt1 said:
With the SOC hold enabled I don't really see any value in burning the gasoline to recharge the batteries.
If you lived in an area that charged fees to drive in the city center on gasoline, you'd see the advantage of being able to ensure you have enough charge to run electric! Don't know of any place in the USA where that's the current case, but there is more than one city outside of the US where that's a very real cost/utility factor.

While I don't keep up on the latest in say London, I think I read that after some future date, you won't even be able to drive in the city center on gasoline, so it's electric or walk, or public transportation...scrap the car and pay to park it outside of that area if you need to go there.

Back