codemycar or dvdinmoion for rex coding?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goto35

Which coding to use?

I really to enable the higher gas tank as well and didnt see that option with code my car.

which have people done?

I used 'dvdinmotion' because it was specific for the function I wanted; simple to use, and; reasonably priced. I was a 'never driven' BMW i3-REx owner picking up my car on a Friday afternoon nearly 500 miles from home. KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Their instructions are 'awkward' but good enough I could put it on. I sent them my VIN and they e-mailed a file to load on a blank flash drive. Their 'restrart' instructions are not something I as a new owner really understood (need pictures!) But the backup method of installing and letting the car power-on restart after 10 minutes has worked perfectly fine.

BTW, I think they need to figure out how to use a smart phone instead of a thumb drive. My first thumb drive disappeared so I had to buy and load a second one. I still have my iPhone.

Note that I have not tried the other coding method primarily because I didn't learn about it early enough. So far, none of the other codes offered seem to offer an advantage over getting the REx on at 75% SOC.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
I used 'dvdinmotion' because it was specific for the function I wanted; simple to use, and; reasonably priced. I was a 'never driven' BMW i3-REx owner picking up my car on a Friday afternoon nearly 500 miles from home. KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Their instructions are 'awkward' but good enough I could put it on. I sent them my VIN and they e-mailed a file to load on a blank flash drive. Their 'restrart' instructions are not something I as a new owner really understood (need pictures!) But the backup method of installing and letting the car power-on restart after 10 minutes has worked perfectly fine.

BTW, I think they need to figure out how to use a smart phone instead of a thumb drive. My first thumb drive disappeared so I had to buy and load a second one. I still have my iPhone.

Note that I have not tried the other coding method primarily because I didn't learn about it early enough. So far, none of the other codes offered seem to offer an advantage over getting the REx on at 75% SOC.

Bob Wilson

Bob what about extending the gas tank to 2.4 gallons? How do i do that? BTW thanks for all your replies. You are great!

goto35 said:
. . .
Bob what about extending the gas tank to 2.4 gallons? How do i do that? BTW thanks for all your replies. You are great!
It depends upon your 'bladder range.' My first long range drive was 6 PM to 5 AM so I appreciated the hourly stops to recycle the filter coffee. Driving during the night, rest stops and a walk-around are important.

Now if you are a 'road warrior', say someone with an area to cover like a sales rep., by all means look at the larger tank capacity. But there are risks.

Does it remap the fuel indicator? Knowing how much fuel is in the tank is critical to deciding to pull into a truck-stop or try for the next. If the fuel indicator is still mapped 0-2.0 gallons, the 2.5 gallon tank code has marginal utility.

Understand I'm posting from ignorance. We really need someone with the code to tell us how the fuel indicator works after the patch.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
goto35 said:
. . .
It depends upon your 'bladder range.' My first long range drive was 6 PM to 5 AM so I appreciated the hourly stops to recycle the filter coffee. Driving during the night, rest stops and a walk-around are important.

Now if you are a 'road warrior', say someone with an area to cover like a sales rep., by all means look at the larger tank capacity. But there are risks.

Does it remap the fuel indicator? Knowing how much fuel is in the tank is critical to deciding to pull into a truck-stop or try for the next. If the fuel indicator is still mapped 0-2.0 gallons, the 2.5 gallon tank code has marginal utility.

Understand I'm posting from ignorance. We really need someone with the code to tell us how the fuel indicator works after the patch.

Bob Wilson
so you havent done that hack yet?

I did the coding myself. The instructions available on the net are very detailed. The risks are low- if you don't click on the "Write default values" button in E-Sys, there is not much you can do to screw things up.
Some of the coding options from the Facebook file don't work as described or at all, but the REX and gas tank hacks do what they should. (I didn't completely verified the gas tank capacity- I'm still on the dealer's gas.)

Just to clarify...there are no hardware changes to get the 'extra' fuel on the REx...it's the same tank, it's just that the computer is programmed to say it's empty and stop the engine once you've used the top 1.9g. Note also, on the 2017 with the optional larger battery, you will have access to the full tank AND they've bumped the REx engine output up 4Hp, which should let you 'stress' things a bit more before the SOC starts to drop because the REx can't keep up. IOW, you could probably drive a little faster without dropping the SOC.

goto35 said:
Which coding to use?

I really to enable the higher gas tank as well and didnt see that option with code my car.

which have people done?

I wrote two posts on my blog. Everything you need to know is here:

Post 1

Post 2

It's in french so auto translation in Chrome might be in order but you should be ok :)

Back