Advice/Tips/Lessons Learned for New Owner?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchoupz

Hi guys,

Recently leased a 2016 i3 REX. I was wondering what the community had to offer in terms of advice from those who've owned it for a little while. tricks that may make our life easier, lessons learned. Open to anything!

1.) Read through the forum.
2.) Turn off your Air Conditioning.
3.) Read through the forum.
4.) Learn one pedal driving.

justanotherdrunk said:
TheNickGuy said:

enabling cruise control removes the 56 mph limitation in ecopro+

ecopro+ shuts off the idiot air con that i never use
There are certainly places where the a/c isn't a big deal, but consider this: BMW has said that speeds above 25mph in the i3 with the windows open creates more drag (and thus battery use) than running the a/c system. So, you might be falsely assuming you're saving money and range(SOC) by turning it off and driving with the windows open. Now, certainly, driving with them open AND leaving the a/c on is truly a big waste!

Gif said:
If buying an EV involves going back to pre A/C motoring then the EV is dead in the water. It needs to be able to do what an ICE does or the planet is doomed.

As much as I want EVs to succeed, we have to keep in mind that only 20% of global CO2 emissions are related to transport.

There is bigger fish to fry..

psquare said:
Gif said:
As much as I want EVs to succeed, we have to keep in mind that only 20% of global CO2 emissions are related to transport.

There is bigger fish to fry..
The point I was making is that any solution to any such problem is not sending people back to the Stone Age. It isn't going to happen. But this is not the thread for a climate change debate :lol:

Thanks guys. I live in South Florida and no A/C is no go for 5 months of the year... I'll try to keep it not too cold though. And u agree with previous poster. Returning in a pre-AC world is not an option here...

Rest seems pretty intuitive.

jadnashuanh said:
justanotherdrunk said:
TheNickGuy said:

enabling cruise control removes the 56 mph limitation in ecopro+

ecopro+ shuts off the idiot air con that i never use
There are certainly places where the a/c isn't a big deal, but consider this: BMW has said that speeds above 25mph in the i3 with the windows open creates more drag (and thus battery use) than running the a/c system. So, you might be falsely assuming you're saving money and range(SOC) by turning it off and driving with the windows open. Now, certainly, driving with them open AND leaving the a/c on is truly a big waste!

I meant turn off the A/C switch, and just use the fan...

Back