Range extender "!"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfs

Message on screen is ! Range Extender
Possible to Continue your journey
Maintenance cycle required due to prolonged period of non use
Activation currently not possible to to low fuel level or battery charge over 75%

Car was parked for just under three weeks while we were on vacation.
It's been driven daily since return about two weeks ago.
Fuel is a little below half full.
We've allowed the battery to run down to below thirty miles (well less than 50%) on several occasions.
REX has engaged a couple of times, but we've never driven long enough for it to complete it's cycle.
Now, it doesn't seem inclined to come on though gas and charge are both in range where it should not be a problem.
We get the ! message every time we start the car now.

Time to call the dealer, or is there some way to force it to engage and then let it complete it's cycle?

Thanks

You probably know this, but the battery must have enough 'space' in it to handle the charge added by running the REx through a maintenance cycle. That cycle does take some time to get things fully up to temperature and burn away any accumulated moisture and get oil to fully circulate everywhere. If all of your trips are quite short, it may not trigger the logic to get started. It must also 'see' enough fuel to last through a full cycle, but I'd think 1/2-tank should be plenty.

Some REx owners have reported that the gasoline level must be above half and the battery pack charge level below 75% for the maintenance cycle to start. Try adding some gasoline.

Back