Phoenix to either Albuquerque or Las Cruces?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

I'm looking at a Christmas visit to my brothers living in Phoenix but have two routes.

I-40 - via Albuquerque is shortest, ~1600 mi (~2500 km) with highest pass 7500 ft (2300 m)
AZ_010.jpg

I-10 - via Las Cruces is longer, ~1700 mi (~2700 km) with the highest pass 4700 ft (1400 m)
AZ_020.jpg

The range does not bother me since we did a 700 mi (1100 km) trip over the Labor Day holiday weekend. I've also gone up to 2800 ft (850 m) on the delivery trip. But these western USA routes are significantly higher and further.

Do we have any BMW i3-REX members who may have taken trips to 4700 ft (1400 m) and/or 7500 ft (2300 m) in their BMW i3-REX?

Right now I'm thinking the Las Cruces route is safest for reaching Phoenix on a schedule. But on the return trip, take the Albuquerque route as returning is not as demanding. Since the weather over the higher altitude route is more variable, decide on the return day.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

wow sounds like a fun trip

i know youre very aware of decreased range/ battery efficiency in the winter cold

i just got reminded of it here in san jose this weekind where we just received our first cold temps this year

seems like the non preconditioned range dropped by 10-20%

its no problem since the car is rarely driven more than 50 miles/ day

;)

Wow indeed! You are a dedicated man ;)

Just out of interest, how many CCS and Type 2 chargers will be along the route? Or are you planning to keep topping up the REx every 60-70 miles?

Hi,
psquare said:
Just out of interest, how many CCS and Type 2 chargers will be along the route? Or are you planning to keep topping up the REx every 60-70 miles?
The way to make God laugh, "I have a plan."

Charging for long distances does not make sense. It takes too long for too short of a distance. We'll use EV at our destinations but I have no interest in highway EV travel. Testing with a local, DC charger confirmed long distance EV travel is impractical: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4240#p36773. But this is not my first rodeo.

The delivery drive home was 463 miles from Charlotte NC to Huntsville AL over the 2,800 ft pass on I-40. I coded the car and used this trip to measure: (1) 40 MPG @65 mph, and (2) 44 MPG @55 mph. I also confirmed use of dynamic cruise control to follow semi-trailer trucks.

Labor Day (USA version) weekend trip of 700 miles each way Huntsville AL to Stillwater OK. There were 10 fill-ups each way and one 'caution' top-off with a one gallon spare can when we found a truck stop was unexpected, shutdown. We traveled with wife, her two dogs, and her wheelchair on the carrier in the back. With a sleep-over stop, 1400 miles is feasible.

Current planning is looking at Pecos, TX, 1091 miles, for the first day, about 50% further than the Huntsville to Stillwater drive. Trip planners suggest this would be ~16 hours of driving which is broken up by the fuel stops. I believe this can be accomplished in one, 24 hour long day.

The goal is to reach a 'pet friendly' motel in Pecos for a sleep-over and refresh. Then the next day complete the drive to Tucson, a Huntsville to Stillwater leg. I'm working on the departure time and date to make sure we arrive at Pecos at their 3PM check-in time . . . but such things are negotiable.

I'm also investigating putting in a second BMW i3-REX tank from a salvage. This has the potential of adding 2.4 gallons for a total of 4.4 gallons usable. I may also be able to spoof the primary tank level sensor (not code the car) to bring the total up to 4.8 gallons. This could give us 120-160 mile range and cut the refueling delays in half. Although I've ordered the parts and am working on the detailed design, it is too soon to say whether it will work.

Bob Wilson

Hi Bob,

I'm curious did you end up taking this trip? I have done this trip many times before I bought my REX but have not tried it since. The concern I'd have is that the I40 and I10 have a speed limit of 75mph and everybody is pretty much expected to drive at least 80mph. My thought is its probably not possible but I'm curious if you tried it.

If I was to do this trip I would probably use the 60 instead since the speed limit is around 65mph depending on where you are at in the trip.

I just bought my 2014 CPO REX 2 weeks ago and I have enjoyed reading all the information you and everyone else posts on this forum. Thanks,

bwilson4web said:

I'm also investigating putting in a second BMW i3-REX tank from a salvage. This has the potential of adding 2.4 gallons for a total of 4.4 gallons usable. I may also be able to spoof the primary tank level sensor (not code the car) to bring the total up to 4.8 gallons. This could give us 120-160 mile range and cut the refueling delays in half. Although I've ordered the parts and am working on the detailed design, it is too soon to say whether it will work.

Bob Wilson

I was wondering if this was possible - really looking forward to your findings!

Back