Adding oil to REx

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOEd

Does anyone know how to add oil to the REx?

When we picked up the car we received a litre of fully synthetic BMW 5W30 oil and several very small paper funnels designed to drip oil down the oil dipstick. Although I tried to use a funnel, it proved to be a very poor method.

When the dealer changed the oil/filter based on a CBS notification at 5 months, the mechanic removed the engine cover to add oil. This cover is easily removed using a cordless drill. But it isn't apparent where he added the oil. On most engines the oil filler port is easy to identify. But not on the REx. Anyone know how?

TOEd

Did you ever get a good answer on how to add oil to the REX unit?

I have an engine idiot light on now.

I checked the oil level in the REX unit.

I may be low on oil.

I can play ignorant and let the dealer take care of it.
But the car is brand new.
I would have thought, that would have been checked out before delivery.
Other than that, the car is perfect.

How do you get oil into the engine through the horizontal dip stick?
Is there a better way?

I never got a response to my post. Google search also unsuccessful. So I plan to ask a mechanic next time I visit the dealer and will post answer here. Should be going to dealer for a checkup in a couple of weeks.

rtanow

Thank you for the information.

I will try it now.

Will let everyone know if this helps.

Thank you

Tom Milam

Thank you rtanow. The diagram was very helpful. After removing the 8 torx screws (T27 or T25 on a cordless drill) the oil fill port is located about 4 inches (10 cm) to the left of the dipstick. It is very small (2 cm diameter) so you will need a funnel. I will add a photo if I can figure out how.

I am sure the link provided covers this. You need to take the engine cover off, to the left of the dipstick is where you add engine oil.

I took a picture this evening, after my last service my dealership thought it would be awesome to leave my dipstick unseated, I pissed out about a half a quart of oil triggering the check engine light.

I decided to take a pic of where to add oil in hopes of helping others.

In this picture I have the cover removed as I was adding oil.

i-FdW4X7G-XL.jpg

Back