Coding Help in San Diego or Orange County

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weaver

Hello - I am new at this and super confused... Thinking about getting a certified 2014 i3 Rex for my daily commute, which is over 170 miles round trip. I have charging stations at work and will also be charging overnight. After the test drive, the BMW associate confirmed that I should have no problems doing this 85 mile one way drive but reading through this forum it sounds like the only way I can really make this work is by coding updates and enabling Rex to start whenever I choose. Did I get that right?

Long story short... I am hoping I can pay someone local to help me with the coding upgrades. I didn't buy the car yet and I really want to but I won't be able to if I can't get this figured out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

We'll put aside the fact that California, CARB, insisted on hamstringing the car. Let's talk technical.

I used these people who with the VIN, will send an image via e-mail that loaded on a flash drive makes adding and taking off the patch trivial: http://dvdinmotion.com

Before I picked up my 2014, I sent them the VIN and had the flash drive in my pocket when I picked up the car in Charlotte NC. I planned to take the I-40 route over the mountains. Having the car coded would be critical to safe operation climbing from ~700 ft to ~2800 ft at the mountain pass. It worked perfectly and living in non-CARB area, I felt no concerns ethically or otherwise.

The real problem is the car maintains the SOC at 65-70 mph. At 75 mph, even with the engine running, the car loses ~20% SOC with each tank. As a cross country car, 65-68 mph is the speed range I typically use with a weather eye on the SOC. If headwinds or climbs are leading to loss of SOC, slow down. My experience:
  • 463 miles - Charlotte NC to Huntsville AL
  • 700 miles (each way) - Huntsville AL to and from Stillwater OK
Bob Wilson

ps. I also have a 2017 Toyota Prius Prime Plus (lowest trim).

bwilson4web said:
We'll put aside the fact that California, CARB, insisted on hamstringing the car. Let's talk technical.
I used these people who with the VIN, will send an image via e-mail that loaded on a flash drive makes adding and taking off the patch trivial: http://dvdinmotion.com

The dvdinmotion.com site seems to only refer to allowing video playback while in motion. Does their 'patch' also allow hold mode and other features in the i3, or is it only for the multimedia functionality?

bwilson4web said:

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I won't even attempt to hack the gas tank capacity override. As long as I can drive 90-ish miles one way, I am good.

gururise said:
The dvdinmotion.com site seems to only refer to allowing video playback while in motion. Does their 'patch' also allow hold mode and other features in the i3, or is it only for the multimedia functionality?

I am by no means an expert but if you click on i3 link on their main page, you will see that package A will allow hold mode and package B is the video option. I just emailed them and they said turnaround is usually couple hours. Hope this helps.

weaver said:
gururise said:

I am by no means an expert but if you click on i3 link on their main page, you will see that package A will allow hold mode and package B is the video option. I just emailed them and they said turnaround is usually couple hours. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Missed that link!

Back