Is this price fair for a 15 Rex?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukecola

Hi, I'm a newbe looking for a i3 rex and found a 15 on a dealer's lot, he's asking $34.8., 6100mi. To me this seems high for a 2yo car since I can get a 17' for $42.5 after credit. Only 3.5k depreciation per year? This can't be right, the14's I see are going less than $20k. Any advice on what I should pay is appreciated.

Hard to tell- how loaded is the 2015? What was original MSRP on that car?

The 2014 cars going for under $20K seem to be mostly Mega line BEVs with no options. A loaded REX 2014 is still going to mostly be in the low to mid $20K range as far as asking price.

To me to figure depreciation you first have to drop off the $7,500 Federal tax credit. As you are noting that is the "real" price of the 2017 version. Second I'd be thinking that the 2017 is a superior car with 50% more battery. Is that worth another $7.7K to you?

We are looking at a REX and weighing 2017 vs CPO 2014. Doing the rough math it looks to me like the cost of the 2017 ends up being about $15K more than the 2014 assuming they have the same packages on them. If that is correct I'd put rough depreciation at minimum $5K a year and that suggests at minimum I'd be aiming for $10K of depreciation plus the $7.5K tax credit hit for a total of $17.5K off on a 2015.

I only figured that last night so I might come to different conclusions after some more digging into the question.

Also I should add that I'm in Southern California which is one of the greatest markets for car buying so my experiences might not apply to you if you are in an area with only one or two BMW dealers within easy reach.

Search eBay motors. I bought my 2014 for $29.9k with 6,440 miles and I've been loving it with a few exceptions: repairs and tires are pricey and slow, and; the motor mount bolt break disappointing.

Cross-country, you'll top off the tank every 80 miles and need to cruise between 65-70 mph. You'll also need the 'code' so the REx can be turned on early.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
Search eBay motors. I bought my 2014 for $29.9k with 6,440 miles and I've been loving it with a few exceptions: repairs and tires are pricey and slow, and; the motor mount bolt break disappointing.

Cross-country, you'll top off the tank every 80 miles and need to cruise between 65-70 mph. You'll also need the 'code' so the REx can be turned on early.

Bob Wilson

Motor mount bolt is covered under warranty. I just got mine replaced under warranty when I brought my car in for its schedule brake service.

I am really late with a response but maybe it'll help someone else.

I just got a 15 rex with 13k miles, registered 11 months ago at the end of April of 2016, so 3 years of factory warranty left and CPO on top of that. Well optioned with the original msrp at $52k.

Got it for $24k.

Yours has fewer miles on it, but I don't believe that the difference is worth >$10k more

dukecola said:
Hi, I'm a newbe looking for a i3 rex and found a 15 on a dealer's lot, he's asking $34.8., 6100mi. To me this seems high for a 2yo car since I can get a 17' for $42.5 after credit. Only 3.5k depreciation per year? This can't be right, the14's I see are going less than $20k. Any advice on what I should pay is appreciated.

search on cargurus.com I've found few 2015 and 2016 from 25 to 29 range on that. My zipcode is 12054 with 150 miles range search I'm seeing lot of them in that range.

I seriously think it's impossible to compare prices market to market. I've been looking at a used CPO i3 for almost 3 months with very very specific mileage, options, color, etc. I was willing to ship cross country if necessary but the prices I found in certain hotter markets (namely those with a lot of DC chargers!) were more expensive than I found more locally.

I lucked out and found a car 99% perfect to my specs (I have a spreadsheet with over 140 used i3s with pricing, miles, features, location, etc over 3 months) for just under $25k for a 2015 with under 15,000 miles, CPOE, and the only feature I didn't get was the interior package (wanted Giga, accepted Mega).

Overall, for what I got and comparing it to the 140+ other similar vehicles around the country, I ended up saving almost $3000 -- plus the dealership is only 13 miles from me and free car washes and charges for life is nice to have only 13 miles away.

If you are patient, you WILL find a better deal, and if you're willing to ship it you may be in an even better position for savings.

Back