Buying a used non CPO BMW I3 REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agosto

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker and finally decided to post. I am currently looking to purchase either a 2014 or 2015 CPO I3 REX, however, I came across a non CPO 2015 I3 REX that's fully loaded for $23k. The only way I could justify this purchase is knowing that the original warranty will expire in 2019. What are your thoughts ? Bad deal ? Keep looking at CPOs? Thanks for your time.

I just got rid of a nightmare 2014 that spent over 40 days in the shop in the past 18 months.

A quote from my Service Rep at BMW, "I wouldn't have a 2014 without a warranty, the new ones are great, but these are all problems."

Definitely will not get a non CPO 2014 model. I"m curious about the 2015 models. I'm going to start looking into the common problems for those. Thank you for your input.

There's no design difference between the 2014-2016, is there?

Granted, more experience manufacturing, but as far as I know there's no actual changes in the cars (except maybe very early 2014s)

I have an '15 REX non CPO, and maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't experienced any problems. Recently had my car in for the scheduled brake fluid change and they updated by firmware. I've since coded my car, unlocked the extra fuel tank storage, enabled enhanced bluetooth, video in motion and Hold SOC mode and I've been driving all around loving the car...

That's good to hear. I haven't heard about many issues for the 2015s. I'm planning on making sure that I take it in for every issue that arrives before warranty is up. Sucks that I'll have to pay for maintenance though .

Most of the maintenance is checks. The biannual brake bleeding should not be ignored, but you can buy the tools to do that yourself for about the cost of what it takes for the dealer to do it for you, but the next time, you get it for much less than half price. I've not tried to change the oil/filter on the REx or change the spark plugs, but other than the oil/filter, the plugs should last a very long time. The antifreeze should last quite awhile, and the brakes, because of regen, don't get much use and should last a long time. IOW, it shouldn't be a really extensive set of regular repairs. But, it still is a complex system, so if something does go wrong, it could easily get expensive. Not all dealers have really qualified i3 techs, let alone independent aftermarket people.

Thanks the info ! I will make sure to do as much as I can on my own. I will make sure to master my stops to maximize regen.

gururise said:
I have an '15 REX non CPO, and maybe I've just been lucky but I haven't experienced any problems. Recently had my car in for the scheduled brake fluid change and they updated by firmware. I've since coded my car, unlocked the extra fuel tank storage, enabled enhanced bluetooth, video in motion and Hold SOC mode and I've been driving all around loving the car...

Gururise, I also have a '15 non CPO REX, and got the brake fluid service indicator. Just wondering how much that service cost for you (including the firmware update cause my car will probably need that as well) for out of warranty cars.

Last time I paid for a brake fluid service at the dealership, it was about $80, but that depends on the dealership you choose. If you're at least somewhat handy, you can buy the tools and materials to do it yourself, and then the next time it's only going to cost about 1/4 of that. Note, this should be done at 2-year intervals from the BUILD date, not the in-service date.

jadnashuanh said:
Last time I paid for a brake fluid service at the dealership, it was about $80, but that depends on the dealership you choose. If you're at least somewhat handy, you can buy the tools and materials to do it yourself, and then the next time it's only going to cost about 1/4 of that. Note, this should be done at 2-year intervals from the BUILD date, not the in-service date.

How would you clear the brake fluid notification from the car?

Leasing a loaded 2015, 20 months, 15000 miles. Have had the rear view camera replaced. Took 2 weeks to get the part and was given a loaner. When I piked it up I later found the sight lines were turned off. Had to return it for that AND to have the "check engine" light looked at. Left it again and was given a loaner. Had to have the carbon filter replaced in conjunction with the fuel filler door not opening easily. Then the lights on the radio flickered and then went out, then came back on and finally went dead. Took it back, loaner, and was told the whole panel was replaced. Thus far all is quiet. I won't be buying this one when lease is up. Actually thinking about having someone take over the remaining months...$249 a month for 10 months. Oh, replaced rear tires at 14000 miles.
Can you imagine what some of the electrical issues will cost to repair outside of the warranty?
Have a loaded 2017 Volt that we enjoy. May get a new Leaf or used Volt or...we'll see what's available when lease is up.
Can't see buying another gas vehicle any time soon.

klu said:
gururise said:

Gururise, I also have a '15 non CPO REX, and got the brake fluid service indicator. Just wondering how much that service cost for you (including the firmware update cause my car will probably need that as well) for out of warranty cars.

I'm in California and was quoted $180.

Agosto said:
Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker and finally decided to post. I am currently looking to purchase either a 2014 or 2015 CPO I3 REX, however, I came across a non CPO 2015 I3 REX that's fully loaded for $23k. The only way I could justify this purchase is knowing that the original warranty will expire in 2019. What are your thoughts ? Bad deal ? Keep looking at CPOs? Thanks for your time.

There are a lot of benefits of a CPO car that you'd be missing out by buying a non-CPO. The only reason you'd want to buy a non-CPO is if was a specific spec/trim that you wanted that you weren't able to find elsewhere. Some of the CPO perks include:

1. 14 days in the first year use of the loaner fleet. Drop off your car there and borrowing anything in the fleet for your longer range trips. You can use all 14 at once or spread it across the year.
2. Extended warranty. CPO's get 1 additional year beyond the 4 year which makes it 5 years from the original purchase date from the original buyer.
3. Maintenance. I'm hearing that the maintenance coverage is no longer being offered to buyers of used i3's. Not sure how true or false this is. Maybe someone can chime in and discuss where their dealership is.

Back