Fuel vent recall?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Source: http://www.hybridcars.com/bmw-recalls-us-i3-rex-plug-in-hybrids-for-problems-with-fuel-line/

• . . .
    BMW discovered the car’s fuel tank vent line can rub against the sleeve of a battery cable. That friction is capable of causing a tear where vapor can leak out, which would be vulnerable to fire.

The problem was originally discovered by a BMW dealer.
    . . .
Anyone heard about this?

Bob Wilson

I read about it on various EV news sites now, but have not had any communication from BMW UK yet.

Last I heard is that the parts will not generally be available to resolve this until April. I'd say that if things had gotten critical, you'd get a fault in that the car pressurizes the fuel system...if there were a leak, it couldn't do that. So, to be dangerous, the chaffing would have had to advance to the point of a hole, and you'd both likely smell it and the car's sensors would have detected it. Prior to that, it should not be an issue.

jadnashuanh said:
Last I heard is that the parts will not generally be available to resolve this until April. I'd say that if things had gotten critical, you'd get a fault in that the car pressurizes the fuel system...if there were a leak, it couldn't do that. So, to be dangerous, the chaffing would have had to advance to the point of a hole, and you'd both likely smell it and the car's sensors would have detected it. Prior to that, it should not be an issue.

That's precisely what I was thinking.

Notices will not be sent to owners until April when BMW expects to have the parts available. The biggest impact this has right now is that there is a stop sale notice on all i3 REX cars built from start production through December 2016. No BMW dealer can sell those cars until they are fixed. This has already tripped up some folks who had cars on order or where in the process of buying used cars.

Wow. I almost missed getting my i3 as I picked it up 2 weeks ago. Recall is a bummer but it would be even worse not to have the car!

FYI - no recall in the UK

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

Search for BMW and i3, only ever one recall back in December 2015.

Back