Hacking an i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinnsella

Who does it for US models, I want to be able to turn on my engine and actually use my whole gas tank.

The title of your thread suggests gaining access to the i3's system software by exploiting its weaknesses for the purpose of modifying this software, stealing stored information, or controlling an i3 without using the user interface provided by BMW. That is a real concern, but it's not what your thread is about.

It would be nice if you could change the subject to better reflect the thread's real content. Although it's not an accurate description, either, BMW owners associate "coding" with changing the values of standard settings which is what you want to have done. So "Coding an i3" would be a more accurate and less alarming title.

kinnsella said:
wilcovh said:
Search dvdinmotion or coding

dvd in motion does not provide the ability to use the whole gas tank yet.

I used this and he is great. You can pretty much pick and choose anything that can be set:

http://www.codemycar.com

Not hard to do it yourself if you have a Windows computer, a $20 OBD II to ethernet cable (you can order from Amazon or eBay) and software you can find online. Take a look at bmwcoding.com or search for e-sys

Jeffj said:
Not hard to do it yourself if you have a Windows computer, a $20 OBD II to ethernet cable (you can order from Amazon or eBay) and software you can find online. Take a look at bmwcoding.com or search for e-sys

Sounds easy until you add in the time to download VMs, set up the code, and then ultimately you still need to get a key and probably pay for that. After you add all that in the lazy way out is to let someone else do it for you!

No key required. Downloading the stuff can be lengthy, but you don't have to be sitting in front on your computer during the download. If you have to create a VM to run the program, then that's a Mac thing that you brought on yourself.

Yes its easy to be lazy (I've got no problem with paying someone to do things for me), but the reality of this task is its really pretty straightforward, and recoding after a trip to the dealer for an update takes less than 15 minutes. Only real cost is the cable ($20), which you'd have to get to have someone do it remotely for you.

Jeffj said:
No key required. Downloading the stuff can be lengthy, but you don't have to be sitting in front on your computer during the download. If you have to create a VM to run the program, then that's a Mac thing that you brought on yourself.

Yes its easy to be lazy (I've got no problem with paying someone to do things for me), but the reality of this task is its really pretty straightforward, and recoding after a trip to the dealer for an update takes less than 15 minutes. Only real cost is the cable ($20), which you'd have to get to have someone do it remotely for you.

Not sure what the necessity of the extraneous commentary is here exactly. I am a professional computer system hardware and software engineer. So if I have "brought on" something on myself it is probably from a great deal of knowledge rather than someones "popular opinion I learned on the internet." Because even when I am running a "Windows box" I still use VMs so I don't have to deal with the crap that is reinstalling everything when I have issues. And if I grab a pre-installed VM someone else has done the work for me, and again I consider that smart.

Finally I paid a person who does this all the time so in about 5 minutes of conversation he walked me through all the useful options, rather than spending an hour+ sorting through all the coding parameters and deciding which ones I actually cared about.

For most people a car is something they drive, not something they want to go through the hassle of coding. And for what is a small amount of money a lot of people would rather have someone else do the work.

Back