REx not for sale at dealers -Recall

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinny11

Was looking at buying one when my local dealer said they can't sell any of them because of the recall. Anyone know anything about that?

They found that it's possible that a fuel tank vent line, over time, could get chaffed, and eventually leak. Not sure whether they will end up with some new clamps, rerouting, or what to eliminate that possibility. To date, there have not been any outright failures, but it was noticed by a dealer while doing some other work, and BMW is stopping all new, or traded in ones from being sold to prevent the possibility from occurring. If it was considered catastrophic, they'd request all owners to stop using their cars, but that has not happened. A fix should be available soon, and then the cars can be released for sale and a recall will then modify the existing fleet of owners to preclude the possibility of it happening.

Last I saw BMW wasn't mailing notices to owners until early April which says to me you shouldn't expect any parts to fix this in country until then. When the parts do arrive I'd expect dealers to prioritize the cars on the lots so they aren't stuck with them.

Also non-BMW dealers don't have to honor the stop order so you can still buy used REXs from other car lots.

I'm seeing reports that some dealers are expecting parts this week or next to allow them to clear in stock cars for sale. Car sales may be up in running before April.

I'm having the same problem since last week. I was told they are on hold until BMW starts fixing it.

Back