Fuel tank vent line recall takes i3 off the road for 4 - 5 weeks

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinfwi

On April 7 I received a letter from BMW Canada telling me that they are ready to perform this recall. On April 12 I took the car to my BMW dealer. Today the dealer told me that the necessary part is not available anywhere in North America, that my car is unsafe to drive because of the vent line chafing problem, and that it will be the second week of May before they can get the part from Germany. To give them credit they have given me a loaner ICE BMW but this sucker goes through gasoline like there is no tomorrow!

It seems that BMW has never heard of FedEx or overnight shipping of parts. If anyone else is having this problem, or if anyone knows where I can get one of whatever part it is that this recall requires, please let me know. I am open to doing whatever I can to get my 2014 i3 Rex back on the road.

It took 1 week to for the part to arrive (Toronto). Unfortunately my 2014 i3Rex had a "drive train malfunction" while waiting. I expect to be without my car for about a week (unrelated I believe). I too am not impressed with the fuel economy of the loaner (X1)!

dropped off at 7:30am , got it back at 6pm. no chaffing so just needed the clip.

Free wash and a loaner 320i.

No sweat...I am a lucky guy.

TexRex (Doug)

Hi, writing from Switzerland. Got the same letter from BMW but nothing stated that something is dangerous or unsafe to drive the car. Made a date with my garage in two weeks nobody said that I should not drive the car.
The problem is actually if you want to open the tank. There is an under pressure in the tank due to the vent line which is squeezed. The tank is not opening by pushing the button. If this happens you have to open the front hatch, on the left side you find a green knop. If you pull it with the line behind the fuel flap opens mechanically. But don't pull it too strong (like me) the green knop breakaway from the line, it is only plastic. When opening the tank cap you can hear the air sucked in.
The only problem could be that your Rex get not enough fuel when running due to the under pressure in the tank and stops working.

Hello - a quick update on my repair experience. Took my 2014 i3 in on March 29'th for vent line recall. As it happens - I had a "drivetrain malfunction" warning a couple days before my appointment. Service department informed me that the Rex needed major repairs - they ordered the parts and let me continue to drive the vehicle as long as I didn't use the Rex. Brought the car back on April 11'th when the parts arrived - but still don't have my vehicle (or an estimate of when the work will be completed). I'm told this ridiculously extended repair timeline is due to the need for additional unexpected parts - and time to receive them.

Anyone else experience similar error message and major repair to Rex? Does anyone have experience with BMW warranty on major repairs/labour - or extension of overall warranty as a result of not having access to the car for extended periods??

Has anyone been offered an i3 loaner - to add salt to the wound I'm also missing out on access to desirable EV parking spots (sometime free) and free charging (employer/other locations). I've spent well over $200 on gas for driving the gas loaner that would have been mostly free with my i3.

Appreciate hearing about any related experience people may have had.

In February 2016 I had a drivetrain warning with my 2014i3rex. Brought it to the garage for a soft update and told them about the warning. Got it back sign was off but after the next use of rex again the warning. Maybe they forgot to look for this the problem first time because my repair shop is not very reliable. Brought it back and after one day got it back without comment so it can't have been a big thing. After that no more warning.
Concerning the loaner I got always an i3rex (4-5 times) except the last time I got a 116. They were orange and having advertisement (insurance) on it. Maybe they have an agreement with an insurance company.
In two weeks I will have the date for the fuel tank vent. Last Friday my wife emptied the whole fuel tank during a ride to a mall in Bern. No problem with rex. Normally one can recharge there free of charge (six spots) but this time 4 Tesla and two Hybrid occupied all spots. She was very happy to have the rex.

FYI. Brought the i3rex to the service center on Tuesday evening. Got an i3 loaner (without rex, don't mind). Wednesday early afternoon they called that we can pick up the car. Everything is ok. Perhaps lucky. :) 4 times from 5 we got an i3 as loaner!

Back