USA Dept of Energy Studies

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Source: https://avt.inl.gov/vehicle-button/2014-bmw-i3-rex

The Dept of Energy, Idaho National Labs, runs advanced vehicle testing and this page has links including maintenance and repair actions. One thing that caught my eye:
  • 8/16/2016 - "Replaced engine mount srew"
This makes me wonder if the replacement might not have been properly tightened leading to the fracture six months later. Regardless, the replacement is much improved.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
The Dept of Energy, Idaho National Labs, runs advanced vehicle testing and this page has links including maintenance and repair actions.
Not a very impressive maintenance and repair record. All 4 2014 REx's had warranty repairs with one of the cars apparently having serious problems. It's too bad that the tests seem to have been concluded so early. The battery degradation measurements would have been interesting as the usage increased.

bwilson4web said:
One thing that caught my eye:
  • 8/16/2016 - "Replaced engine mount srew"
This makes me wonder if the replacement might not have been properly tightened leading to the fracture six months later. Regardless, the replacement is much improved.
Yours isn't the only i3 that has suffered more than one motor mount screw breakage. Your most recent repair was what should have been done for all affected i3's. Just replacing the motor mount screw with a stronger one doesn't seem sufficient. The mount itself has been improved and should have been replaced as yours was.

Back