REx in full throttle!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ad78

We are on a trip and i decided to do an experiment. No charge, i see 10mile dc fast charger so i decided to Make fun of REx.
Went to highway, punched it. 80,83,85 and my good old valentine detector reminding me.. im trying to check if i will get any warning or lose any power but none! I even noticed that REx is like a beast louder than the “hold charge” mode.

Im so impressed.. my i3 is 2017

ad78 said:
im trying to check if i will get any warning or lose any power but none!
Did you notice how fast your battery pack's charge level was dropping? At 85 mph, the REx output is less than the power required to maintain that speed, so the pack would need to make up the power deficit thus reducing its charge level. So if you had driven far enough, you would have been confronted with the low power warning as the pack's charge level dropped to near 0%.

alohart said:
ad78 said:
im trying to check if i will get any warning or lose any power but none!
Did you notice how fast your battery pack's charge level was dropping? At 85 mph, the REx output is less than the power required to maintain that speed, so the pack would need to make up the power deficit thus reducing its charge level. So if you had driven far enough, you would have been confronted with the low power warning as the pack's charge level dropped to near 0%.

even before i pulled out from the parking area my battery is empty, no number.. and mind you, i'm running in comfort mode. i drove 10miles and no warning at all, the car is very responsive. the only thing i noticed is the REx is more louder and humming a bit loud on a higher speed. i kinda like it actually rather than the usual generator sound. but it will go back to normal sound when you are slowing down.

Hmmm...It's highly unlikely your battery's "empty", i.e., at zero. It goes into limp mode around 5% and is not supposed to fall any lower than 4%. If it does, the car will stop and cannot be restarted.

Click the button at the end of your turn signal stalk until the display shows the battery state of charge, in %. My guess it's higher than 5%.

theothertom said:
Hmmm...It's highly unlikely your battery's "empty", i.e., at zero. It goes into limp mode around 5% and is not supposed to fall any lower than 4%. If it does, the car will stop and cannot be restarted.

Click the button at the end of your turn signal stalk until the display shows the battery state of charge, in %. My guess it's higher than 5%.

Actually i forgot to mention this, yes im looking at the stalked button and my battery is 4% all the time and never goes down. No limp mode or anything.

Back