Vapor leak causing fire?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBob

Read this post about a Rex Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/BMWi3/comments/6oc5cn/bmw_i3_caught_fire/

"Just a fair warning, my coworker was working on an i3 two days ago. The vehicle had the vapor line replaced due to a recall, before it was given to him . He literally opened up the rear of the vehicle to check the oil and it ignited, burning him badly. Second degree burns on arms, legs, hands, and face . Vehicle finally went out after 5 extinguishers. If you notice smoke or smell something sweet contact your dealer"

Details are still pending... I assume you could smell the gas vapors if it has the concentration to ignite? What could ignite it?

hmmm...Perhaps the vent line was improperly installed allowing gas vapors to escape into the car. But, the gas tank is in the front, I assume the vent line is also in the front and does not enter the car?
Strange.
I'd be interested in the fire inspector's and insurance inspector's report.

The i3's fuel system is pressurized and essentially sealed. You must go through a sequence to release that pressure prior to when you want to open the gas filler cap. If there's any leak, in a partially enclosed area, it could reach the right air-fuel mixture to become combustible. IOW, it should not happen. Now, if the filler cap was not tightened properly, it could become problematic, and if you were to try to drive the car, it would tell you, but in the meantime, I'm not sure whether it would try to pressurize the tank while the car was off...if it did, there would be a constant vapor stream, but it may or may not be enough to trigger a sensor to turn that system off (I don't have a REx, so have not experienced it).

Safest thing when you approach any vehicle, though, is if you smell raw gasoline, to be extremely cautious - it doesn't take much to light it off.

Back