Bimmercode App experience?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

I picked up Bimmercode App (version 2.0.11), fully enabled $25, and an iCar OBD interface (SC03-Z, ICAR\WIFI). Once the car cools off, I plan to change the fuel level to the max, 2.4 gal. I'd read about it on the BMW i3 Facebook page but have not been able to find the instructions. Regardless, I figured to give it hack and was wondering if anyone has experience with using this app to increase the tank size?

Near as I can tell, there will be two mods:
  1. KOMBI_IO1_F56 -> Increase electronically limited fuel capacity
  2. KOMBI_IO1_F56 -> Fuel consumption gauge scale
Then there are some "Fuel range warning" which I don't quite understand:
  • KOMBI_I01_F56 -> Fuel range warning 1
  • KOMBI FPK_I12 -> Fuel range warning 1
  • KOMBI FPK_I12 -> Fuel range warning 2
Are these just 'nanny warnings' with no other effect?

Uncoded, BMW Connected shows 65 miles in the tank. I'll take another photo of the tank level before coding.

FYI, both KOMBI_I01_F56 and KOMBI FPK_I12 have "Range Extender activation battery level" but I'm using DVDInmotion for that function.

FOLLOW-UP
  • Power-on to PRO mode - works perfectly!
  • Set Time from GPS - not sure as I had just set the HH:MM when the car put in the mm/dd/yyyy
  • Show tire pressure and temperature - this worked perfectly!
  • Remove tank limit - set but not yet tested. I expected the indicated gas range to change but it still shows the original values. I've reported it to the developer. Tomorrow, I will do a range test and find out if it worked.
Nothing remarkable about the OBD interface and App operation. They simply work without complication. I didn't see the effects of the DVDInmotion settings, a puzzle but it continued to work without a problem. Eventually I'll back out the DVDInmotion and see if this package can handle everything.

My goal is the extra 0.4 gal of fuel in the tank so more experimentation is needed. My reading suggests the gas range requires another code value BUT I am more interested in having the gas than the indicated range. So far, no complaints beyond the indicated gas range.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

The 2.4 gal code did not work. I ran the tank dry and could only pump 2.2 gallons. The trank level and remaining miles is not there, yet.

I've tried to contact the developer but not had any luck. I'll post an update after we get a chance to chat and figure out what is going on.

Not giving up,
Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
The 2.4 gal code did not work. I ran the tank dry and could only pump 2.2 gallons.
2017 i3 REx owners have reported that their fuel capacity parameter is set by the factory to a value that maps to 8.5 liters (2.25 gallons). So maybe that's the most possible.

alohart said:
bwilson4web said:
The 2.4 gal code did not work. I ran the tank dry and could only pump 2.2 gallons.
2017 i3 REx owners have reported that their fuel capacity parameter is set by the factory to a value that maps to 8.5 liters (2.25 gallons). So maybe that's the most possible.
Wow! That is a revelation.

I was going to revisit a gas station and try to put a bit more in on the hypothesis the any angle of pavement by the pump might have supported an 'air bubble' in the tank. Now I'm thinking about repeating the benchmark test and seeing if I get 2.2x gallons again from a station that I know has a flat parking spot by the pumps.

Could you point me to whoever reported the 2.25 gallons? I want to compare my software version to theirs.

Also, I may do an A-B-A test by reversing the code. If it reverts to 1.9 gallons and then back to 2.2x, it would be confirmed. Dang, I'd have to drive the BMW i3-REx a couple of hundred miles. <GRINS>

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
I was going to revisit a gas station and try to put a bit more in on the hypothesis the any angle of pavement by the pump might have supported an 'air bubble' in the tank. Now I'm thinking about repeating the benchmark test and seeing if I get 2.2x gallons again from a station that I know has a flat parking spot by the pumps.
In some cars, filling the tank until the fuel level is visible in the filler tube can cause fuel to flow into the charcoal vapor trap which would make it appear that the tank had a higher capacity than it actually does.

bwilson4web said:
Could you point me to whoever reported the 2.25 gallons? I want to compare my software version to theirs.
I have had no success finding this reference. Ours is a BEV, so I have only passing interest in REx fuel tank capacities and did not pay as much attention as I might have had I owned a REx.

I believe that the TNK_VOLL_ANZEIGE values range up to 12 hexadecimal, or 18 decimal. These values are apparently multiples of 0.5 liters, so 12 hex would map to 18 * 0.5 = 9 liters (2.4 gallons). I believe someone asked why TNK_VOLL_ANZEIGE should not be set to 12 hex. A 2017 i3 REx owner replied the factory setting was 11 hex. Maybe BMW is being cautious by leaving another 0.5 liters in an "empty" tank so that the fuel pump would never pump air. Maybe a 2017 REx tank makes available only 8.5 liters (2.25 gallons) unless the driver overfills the tank.

Life is much simpler with a BEV :D

Not to worry about over filling. I'm a 'two click' guy who does not pull the nozzle partially out to see gas. I fully appreciate the risk to carbon canister so the second click is enough.
alohart said:
. . .
I believe that the TNK_VOLL_ANZEIGE values range up to 12 hexadecimal, or 18 decimal. These values are apparently multiples of 0.5 liters, so 12 hex would map to 18 * 0.5 = 9 liters (2.4 gallons). I believe someone asked why TNK_VOLL_ANZEIGE should not be set to 12 hex. A 2017 i3 REx owner replied the factory setting was 11 hex. Maybe BMW is being cautious by leaving another 0.5 liters in an "empty" tank so that the fuel pump would never pump air. Maybe a 2017 REx tank makes available only 8.5 liters (2.25 gallons) unless the driver overfills the tank.
. . .
Fortunately the software has an 'expert' mode, undocumented, I haven't entered yet. It may allow me to see and test the actual values. According to other coding reports, once changed the indicated gas range changes too. So without changing the amount of gas, I might be able to see the effect of different values on the indicated gas range.

Leaving an extra 1/2 liter in the tank also means not having to worry about 'priming' the fuel pump or bubbles of air/gas fumes in the line. A 'gas bubble' at the injectors might trigger a check engine light.

I wanted to share some of the photos taken during the test drive but it appears my iPhone 5s does not focus well in low light conditions. However, here is one clear photo taken when I could enable the REx:
OBD_030.jpg

78 + 62 + 21 = 161 mi estimated total range (it took ~10 miles to reach the highway on ramp.)
temp mid-70s.

So when I arrived at the CCS charger, this is what I had:
OBD_040.jpg

OBD_050.jpg

114 + 20 + 37 = 171 mi estimated total range

Bob Wilson

My personal best for a refueling is 2.34 gallons. This takes a bit of time and getting the right flow rate or pumping technique...

I coded our REx with the traditional odbii cable and software on the laptop setup.

There is supposedly still 1 liter in the tank even after coding and empting the tank to prolong the life of the pump. the actual limitation of 2.4 gallons is via the pump, not the sensor in the tank.

I have a feeling though that if I were to fill the tank regularly, and stop pumping after the first click - the next fill up would be 2.34 gallons at the first click on the pump...

I used the advanced option and it looks like the correct tank values were set. So it may be a question of refueling technique or just enjoy the extra capacity. This evening, the car indicated it had 170 mile range, combined gas and electric.

Bob Wilson

A strange day, I planned to test the fuel capacity today with a 124 mile trip:
  • Huntsville to Fayetteville - pickup PowerBall tickets
  • Fayetteville to Jack Daniels distillery Lynchburg - take the tasting tour
  • Lynchburg to Winchester - scout some fishing camps and guides
  • Winchester to Huntsville - home again
Light sprinkle rain, the car indicated 183 mile range, no problem. At about 21 miles, the range extender came on and familiar drone was heard again. Then about 5 miles from Fayetteville, I had to stop short for traffic, the Rex stopped, and a drive train error came on. RATS!

I continued to Fayetteville to visit a familiar place and pickup the Lotto tickets hoping turning the car off might clear the code ... no luck. So I headed home and the 40kW CCS charger downtown.

With the car plugged in and starting at 43% SOC, I connected the WiFi OBD interface and cranked up BimmerCode. I could not find the setting that controls the 75%, REx enable option. More importantly, while the car was on charger, I didn't feel comfortable touching the controllers. But 30 minutes later, it was at 93.4% and I moved to another area to do some experiments.

The first thing was to back out the tank capacity increase which seemed to go OK. I had to use the "Backup" function as the "Active" check would not toggle. Then I used DVDInmotion to back out the 75% enable. I tried to use DashCmd that came with the WiFi OBD interface to read the error code, no luck. However, "CLEAR CODES" turned off the drivetrain error.

I found BimmerLink by the same author and something else called Coder who claim to report diagnostic codes and vehicle metrics. Unfortunately neither lists the BMW i3 or REx in their covered vehicles. Coder in particular is aimed at diesel owners. What I don't know is if this is a permanent fault or intermittent. For good measure, I checked the fuel tank cap and it seemed fine.

So what to do next:
  1. Find BimmerCode option (i.e., Headunit HU_NBT) to enable 75% REx so I can retire DVDInmotion. BimmerCode is much easier to use as you don't have to trick the car into reloading the software with the USB in the slot.
  2. Confirm the tank expansion is backed out using BimmerCode 'Expert' mode.
  3. Replicate the test to see if the drivetrain error comes back. Use BimmerLink to monitor some of the vehicle metrics.
Thoughts?

Bob Wilson

Tonights testing was productive:
  • Was able to replicate the problem but I need to have the 75% range extender enable. Otherwise, at 6% SOC, there would not be enough to get back home (or the BMW Service Center.)
  • Was able to clear the error: (1) "CLEAR CODE", and (2) keep car off long enough to have controllers reset.
  • Set the code again and am testing if just car off, resetting the controller clears the indication.
  • BimmerLink appears to report some codes but everything is in German.
Well I've backed out the obvious coding, the tank size and can now flip between having the 75% menu option or not. After I reset the code and controllers to USA OEM values, I'll just 'happen' to be in the area when the SOC reaches 6% and pull into the BMW service center with the error.

When I set the error code this morning, I was at a slow speed descending a grade. There was a delay, ~10 seconds, before the car reported the drivetrain error. This suggests it is starting the REx is the problem ... probably a controller.

Now I know to expect the car to be out of service for a day or longer. Not a problem as my backup is a Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

Hey Bob,

Wow it sounds like you having a lot of difficulties with the App - have you considered coding your car with the (albiet more time consuming/steeper learning curve) - bmw coding software. laptop and odbii to ethernet cable?

I performed coding updates to our REx (fuel tank capacity, Hold SOC at 75%, etc) and was able to swap the 6.5" screen to a higher resolution 10.2" screen with the software.

We've only had one drive train error in the last 4K miles, that cleared itself after restarting the car. the other issues were caused by the faulty fuel system pressure sensor since we used the REx for 2400 of those 4K miles (Long distance road trip)

bwilson4web said:
Tonights testing was productive:
  • Was able to replicate the problem but I need to have the 75% range extender enable. Otherwise, at 6% SOC, there would not be enough to get back home (or the BMW Service Center.)
  • Was able to clear the error: (1) "CLEAR CODE", and (2) keep car off long enough to have controllers reset.
  • Set the code again and am testing if just car off, resetting the controller clears the indication.
  • BimmerLink appears to report some codes but everything is in German.
Well I've backed out the obvious coding, the tank size and can now flip between having the 75% menu option or not. After I reset the code and controllers to USA OEM values, I'll just 'happen' to be in the area when the SOC reaches 6% and pull into the BMW service center with the error.

When I set the error code this morning, I was at a slow speed descending a grade. There was a delay, ~10 seconds, before the car reported the drivetrain error. This suggests it is starting the REx is the problem ... probably a controller.

Now I know to expect the car to be out of service for a day or longer. Not a problem as my backup is a Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

Hi,

I've always known that the first model year of any vehicle will be 'buggy' and the 2014 BMW i3-REx has certainly met that expectation. For example, our first Prius, a 2003 model year, avoided some first model year, 2001, problems like the absence of cruise control. However, we had to deal with other problems that were fixed in the subsequent model years. A retired engineer who loves a good puzzle, these make life interesting.

As for BMW threatening the warranty because of 'coding', well let's call it penny wise, pound foolish. I understand that BMW and their CARB agreement hobbled the car. The right answer would have been to make coding dealer specific so only cars registered in CARB states would be properly hobbled. Meanwhile, folks like me would have the car customized to exactly what we want and need. Sad to say but CARB's rules no doubt led some potential buyers to cheaper, less efficient cars.

BMW's hands are not clean either when they did not make standard, high-speed, DC charging as well as high-speed AC charging. Also, there car should have done a better job of remembering the last settings.

I still find this car a fascinating puzzle but realize it would be h*ll for the less technically inclined. Sad because it has so many basic, superior features.

Bob Wilson

EVBob said:
Wow it sounds like you having a lot of difficulties with the App - have you considered coding your car with the (albiet more time consuming/steeper learning curve) - bmw coding software. laptop and odbii to ethernet cable?
I've come to expect any App to be poorly documented. Although I appreciate the utility of a laptop based solution, the iPhone 5s and WiFi adapter are easily carried in the car. FYI, I do have a laptop based, BMW package from AutoEnginuity but not used it, yet.

Well I have chores to do, later,
Bob Wilson

Hi Bob,

I wonder if you had difficulty with the BimmerCode app because of the previous DVDinMotion coding that you used for the REx - perhaps there was an unintended consequence of using the 2 different approaches to coding the REx?

To put in medical terms, you used 2 different drugs to treat the same problem, and there was an unwanted interaction.

Hi,

No problem with using DVDInmotion and BimmerCode. I just had to learn how BimmerCode works.

Whatever the problem is, it is reproducible at will. That means it is 'dead meat.' So I'll blackout the codings, all of them including the ones that don't matter. Then I'll replicate the problem just as I drive by the BMW Service Center. <GRINS>

Today, I replicate the problem three times without touching the code/car with BimmerCode or BimmerLink. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Turns out the oil level was a liter low. So everything is coded and worked perfectly. I ran the tank dry and pumped in 2.307 gal. close enough to 2.4 gal.
OBD_100.jpg

OBD_110.jpg

Now to get back to my other projects.

Bob Wilson

alohart said:
. . .
Ok, I think we have a solution that makes sense:
  • hex - decimal (0.5L) - L - gal
    0E - 14 - 7.0L - 1.849 gal
    12 - 18 - 9.0L - 2.378 gal (* - what I got after coding)
    13 - 19 - 9.5L - 2.510 gal
    14 - 20 - 10.0L - 2.642 gal
    15 - 21 - 10.5L - 2.774 gal (* - suggested by EPA data)
So I downloaded the EPA data for City and Highway fuel consumption and range. By dividing range by MPG, I got these tank values:
  • gal City - gal Highway - model year
    1.870 - 1.759 - 2014
    2.851 - 2.711 - 2017
BimmerCode has an expert mode that is not well documented. However, it may be possible to experiment with larger tank sizes. It would help if some of the 2017 BMW i3-REx owners could report:
  • How many liters/gallons-US/gallons-Imp does it take to fill up your 2017 REx tank?
In the meanwhile, I'll try the expert mode to see what I might be able to touch.

Bob Wilson

I did download the app, but have not started to experiment with it yet...but, I did not really find much of any documentation. Is there any anywhere? If so, can you point me to it?

jadnashuanh said:
I did download the app, but have not started to experiment with it yet...but, I did not really find much of any documentation. Is there any anywhere? If so, can you point me to it?
I think we'll have to make our own so let me give a stab:

Startup
OBD_200.jpg

Demo mode

More for orientation, it does provide a way to see what is in the App without being connected to the car:
OBD_210.jpg

Initially it lists the control computers that operate the car. The one I was most interested is the Headunit.

The initial list of Headunit are not terribly useful for my purposes:
OBD_220.jpg

Scrolling down, we find the option that allows expanding the tank capacity:
OBD_230.jpg

I also used Tire pressure control to enable temperature and pressure.

OBD Interface

The recommended WiFi OBD device:
OBD_010.jpg

OBD_020.jpg

I ordered mine from Amazon but it took about three weeks to arrive. Once you get it, plug-in and start the car to READY. This will generate a new WiFi network: V-LINK

OBD_300.jpg

OBD_310.jpg

OBD_320.jpg

OBD_330.jpg

OBD_340.jpg

OBD_350.jpg

OBD_360.jpg

OBD_370.jpg

OBD_380.jpg

BimmerLink

A diagnostic tool and German language trainer:
OBD_400.jpg