'hold state of charge' coding in 2017?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkNo

I just took delivery of a 2017 BMW i3 REx 10 days ago, and I am greatly enjoying my entry into the EV world with this wonderful city car. I have learned a lot from this forum, and I thank you all for your collective expertise.

I went on a longer day trip beyond battery range yesterday and came home using the REx for the last 30km, and it thankfully kicked-in as it should have. Having to drain your battery to 6.5% before being able to engage the REx is a huge drawback, and I would especially love to keep the battery at a higher state of charge when taking longer drives. The REx was intended to be used to maintain state of charge on the highway between cities so you could revert to battery only driving when you reached your destination city - at least that's how it plays out in Europe, but alas not in North America. Thanks to a California regulation that does not apply to us, we Canadians also have the 'hold state of charge' feature disabled on our i3s. But there are work arounds...

Thanks to this forum I came across this simple and inexpensive USB patch for holding state of charge at 75% (or less):

http://dvdinmotion.com/bmw-i3-special

Is this still one of the best options to consider today in 2017?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "best". A lot of people code their car themselves. That gives them more options, but to me, it's more difficult.

Maybe someone in your area has a laptop with the software. Keep looking at the forums.
Also, maybe you've seen this thread:
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4611&p=39874#p39874

theothertom said:
Maybe someone in your area has a laptop with the software. Keep looking at the forums.
Also, maybe you've seen this thread:
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4611&p=39874#p39874
If one has an iOS device (iPhone or iPad), the BimmerCode app seems superior to the bootlegged BMW Windows app and required data file that seem troublesome to configure and use and is considerably less expensive and much more functional than DVDInMotion.

A problem with the BMW Windows app is that it and its data file must be updated with (almost?) every i3 system software update. So one is dependent on those who steal the app and data file and post them where they can be downloaded. Apparently, current versions of the software and data file have been available for BMW owners for several years, so this might not be a significant problem.

A similar problem occurs with the BimmerCode app because its developer must continue updating it to work with updated i3 system software, presumably by using the same stolen BMW Windows software and/or data file. By all reports, the developer has been very responsive so far, but we don't have a long history at this point.

I've both the dvdinmotion code & the BMW coding App.

The dvdinmotion does just the Rex early enable and is very simple to operate.
As we got a 3 year lease on our 2017, I got it so my wife can use it if/when the dealership recodes the car with the latest updates.

I use a laptop to set other parameters that are not so critical to use, such as Eco Pro as the default.
If the dealership wipes out these settings, then I can recode them at leasure.

The supply of up to date BMW coding software rests on the good graces of a member of another forum.
He has been good in keeping the available codes up to date but should this change, we would not be able to easily recode our car.
Hence the "double coverage" with dvdinmotion.

Thanks for the informative replies.

I did download the BimmerCode app and played with it in demo mode and it looks fairly simple to use. I watched a tutorial and in practice it is more complex and requires multiple steps, and hence increases the risk of my making mistakes.

'Holding state of charge' would restore a missing function to the i3 and this is by far my most important coding need. Coding most other functions would be conveniences, and not necessities.

Given the simplicity of the dvdinmotion solution I am leaning towards it as there is no perfect alternative, but I am also considering the BimmerCode app as it seems doable, even for a non techie person.

Hi,

I have both, Bimmercode and DVDInmotion:
  • DVDInmotion - has worked perfectly within its narrow limits, enabling the EU 75% Rex hold mode. I used it with less than 1/4 mile on the car and never looked back.
  • Bimmercode - covers at least 4-5 things including enabling the EU 75% Rex hold mode (untested.) The others have been perfect or close enough.
Had Bimmercode been available in May 2016, I probably would have gone with it. But I don't regret DVDInmotion.

Bob Wilson

Today I bit the bullet and coded my i3....

I downloaded and activated the BimmerCode app on my iPhone. I purchased the Vgate iCar OBD II wifi interface:

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Elm327-Supports-protocols-Android/dp/B01FU5MVI8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502589853&sr=8-3&keywords=vgate

I inserted the OBD II interface into the car's port, connected with the Vgate over wifi, and then used the BimmerCode app.

I deactivated the legal disclaimer (yea!!!!) and then enabled 'hold state of charge' for the REx. I even set one of the presets on the dash to turn on (or off) the 'hold state of charge function. I then went for a drive, and it all worked like a charm. It was dead simple to do.

With the ability to 'hold state of charge' you can travel between cities where charging infrastructure along the way may not be adequate, but where finding gasoline is easy. It gives you basically unlimited mileage between charging stations as long as you stop for gas...

Liberating your Rex is a necessity, and one which will make the wonderful i3 that much more so, and allow you to use the REx as it was designed to be used and not hamstrung by regulatory compliance.

Hi MarkNo,

I'm curious if you have any details? I did the exact same thing, ordered the vgate connector and bimmercode. But, when I go into "Instrument Cluster," and "Range Extender Battery Activation Level," I only see options for 1% to 6%, not 75%.

Am I looking in the wrong place, or did you have to use expert mode?

Thanks so much!!

Ben

BenPrice said:
Hi MarkNo,
when I go into "Instrument Cluster," and "Range Extender Battery Activation Level," I only see options for 1% to 6%, not 75%.

I'm waiting for my OBD interface to arrive. In the meantime, I've been looking at the options in the app.

It's disappointing to find out the options for the REX Battery Activation Level. I was hoping to set that to 25% so I don't have to remember to set the REX level manually.

Anyway, the option you're looking for is the "Range Extender menu" under "Head Unit (HU_NBT)" (or under "Head Unit (HU_NBT_EVO)"). That should add the Range Extender Menu (on Settings), where you can set the activation level to anything - 75% or below.

BenPrice said:
I'm curious if you have any details? I did the exact same thing, ordered the vgate connector and bimmercode. But, when I go into "Instrument Cluster," and "Range Extender Battery Activation Level," I only see options for 1% to 6%, not 75%.

The 75% level is under "Headunit".

Bob Wilson

Will it work with i3 rex with Nav 606? My i3 does not have tech package. Will the mod works? I email to discountdvd, their hack is not working. Anyone will have good news for Nav 606?

SF BMW CODING is located in the San Francisco Bay Area

Adrian knows all the ins and outs---you can go to him or he offers remote coding

I have used both----

I coded my 2015 and when I attempt to turn on HSOC at 74, 73, 72, 71% it will not come on. Only below 70%. Did I do something wrong?

Secondly, I programmed it to button one, but when activated I can't turn off using the same button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know why it won't turn on at 75%, however I can tell you that sometimes there is a delay when you turn it off. If you programmed it to button 1, then you'd press button 1 again to turn it off. It might not shut off, or move the little triangle, for several minutes.

I have a question about coding engine start point. If I use bimmercode to enable adjusting the start point of the engine, do I adjust the set percent in the car menus or the bimmercode app? I haven't purchased the App yet.

Once I set a level of say 75% for highway driving, how do I return to 6% for city? Does it change back automatically?

viking79 said:
I have a question about coding engine start point. If I use bimmercode to enable adjusting the start point of the engine, do I adjust the set percent in the car menus or the bimmercode app? I haven't purchased the App yet.

Once I set a level of say 75% for highway driving, how do I return to 6% for city? Does it change back automatically?
Technically the BimmerCode enables display of the option to enable the REx. The threshold is 75% but you can hold off as long as you want. If you clear the checkbox, the REx will cool down and stop.

Bob Wilson

Back