Long(ish) trip advice needed...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbinsb

We are about to pull the trigger on purchasing a 2014 i3rex. Mostly it will be used around town for which I don't expect any concerns (except maybe the 2 mile uphill climb to get to our house at the end of the day.....) I've done a lot of reading here and elsewhere to become as familiar with the car and it's capabilities as I can but I would love some insight into a specific question we have.

My wife expects to be driving to see her parents 2-4 times a month so I'm trying to get a realistic idea of what will be involved. (For those who know southern California, the trip will be from Santa Barbara to Torrance, just south of LA/LAX.)

There are two routes, both almost exactly 100 miles:
Route 1 - Nearly all 65+mph highway with one longish steep climb a little less than half way. Of course, it's LA so at least some of that highway will be stop and go many times.....

Route 2 - About a 35 miles 65mph highway, 45 miles 50 mph state road with some stop and go areas, and 20 miles street driving

I'm trying to figure out what that drive looks like realistically, particularly after having a salesman yesterday express skepticism that it was do-able, which really surprised me.

Looking at the range estimates, it seems like the car might make it 60 miles on electric (?) and be able to do the remaining 40 via range extender without another fill up until she arrives. Does that seem do-able or too optimistic? I am thinking that the second route, which avoids the uphill grade and has less highway would take longer but allow for better efficiency.

She would then fill the gas tank and hopefully do a full re-charge at a fast charge location (there are several in the area) before heading home. If not able to charge, then a fuel stop halfway home wouldn't be a problem.

Second part of this is that I do plan on coding to get the expanded tank and SOC activation at 75%.

With the in place, one question I have is how best to use the range-extender activation. If it was left to come on at 75%, I think we would then be using gas more than required, particularly if we're able to fully recharge once there. This means more stops and more $ for gas.

So I am thinking two approaches would be:
1. Wait and turn on the range extender at some percentage just to avoid going into "limp mode" on any of the hills (50%?, 40%?)
2. Set the 75% range extender ON right from the start, then turn it off partway through the trip when it appears that the electric range is a more than enough to finish the trip.

The first option seems easier to deal with - less math....

Sorry for the long and detailed post, but we want to be sure we have a realistic idea of what's involved with this cool little car.

Thanks!

My recommendation:
  • 75% enable REx - key to cross country travel. There are at least two options, DVDInmotion (my first) that uses the USB interface and BimmerCode a more recent, iPhone based application and an iCab, WiFi interface to the OBD. DVDInmotion is easier to use but BimmerCode gives more options.
  • increase tank capacity - BimmerCode handles this one but only brings it up to 2.3 gallons, an extra 16 miles of range at 70 mph (~40 MPG.)
  • carry a 2.5 gallon spare can in frunk - although it scares some, the Briggs and Stratton, 2.5 gallon can fits nicely. This means even if the expected gas stop is unavailable, park and use the spare which in effect will double the gas range.
  • find the emergency tank flap release - to the left of the frunk is a green button connected to a flimsy, plastic string. We found last year that often the tank would not 'depressurize' for several minutes which kept the tank flap closed. It takes a firm, slow pull to get it to unlatch the flap. Please don't break it as that could be expensive and leave the car difficult to refuel. Don't be afraid but just slowing increase the pull until the flap opens up.
So my long distance trips:
  • 463 miles - pickup car and drive home with DVDInmotion.
  • 700 miles each way - weekend trip to Oklahoma using 1 gallon spare can and having to often use the emergency, gas flap release. I used the spare can at 2AM in western Arkansas when a planned truck stop was closed and I wanted to keep the sustained charge. Keep speed between 65-70 mph to avoid tapping into the battery SOC. At 75 mph, the REx can not keep up with the load.
  • 334 miles eclipse trip - a day-trip using BimmerCode tank expansion, three fill-ups, 2.3 gallons, and the 75% REx option. I did not take the spare can as the goal was to measure the usable gas capacity. I also changed the default driving mode to use "Pro" with softer acceleration and slightly moderated A/C to extend the range.
GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

your trip (either route) is very much within reason with a coded i3.

After you code your i3, I would do the first few trips with the hold SOC at 75%. After a few drives (with some inclement weather) you will get a better feel on how the REx engages and interacts with the battery and also find out the threshold of your i3 for this drive and find the sweet spot where to engage the hold SOC and minimize your gas use without too much anxiety.

I will echo Bob W's statements:
- Bring a spare gas tank with you for the first few trips. It relieves a lot of range anxiety.
- Get comfortable with that green button to release the fuel door

bwilson4web said:
... We found last year that often the tank would not 'depressurize' for several minutes which kept the tank flap closed. It takes a firm, slow pull to get it to unlatch the flap. Please don't break it as that could be expensive and leave the car difficult to refuel. Don't be afraid but just slowing increase the pull until the flap opens up....

If your i3 is still under warranty, you may want to have a dealership check your fuel pressure sensor. On the 1,200 mile north, every time we had to use the green button to open the fuel door almost every time...then 2-3 weeks later we got a fuel system error. The Dealership found out we had a bad Fuel Pressure Sensor. After they replaced it, we never had to use the green button on the 1,200 miles back south.

Thanks much for the info - I've been following your other posts with great interest.

I'm planning to use the BimmerCode app to make the changes.

Wondered about carrying a spare gas can - seems like an increased risk, but probably not much of one to worry about.

bwilson4web said:
My recommendation:
  • 75% enable REx - key to cross country travel. There are at least two options, DVDInmotion (my first) that uses the USB interface and BimmerCode a more recent, iPhone based application and an iCab, WiFi interface to the OBD. DVDInmotion is easier to use but BimmerCode gives more options.
  • increase tank capacity - BimmerCode handles this one but only brings it up to 2.3 gallons, an extra 16 miles of range at 70 mph (~40 MPG.)
  • carry a 2.5 gallon spare can in frunk - although it scares some, the Briggs and Stratton, 2.5 gallon can fits nicely. This means even if the expected gas stop is unavailable, park and use the spare which in effect will double the gas range.
  • find the emergency tank flap release - to the left of the frunk is a green button connected to a flimsy, plastic string. We found last year that often the tank would not 'depressurize' for several minutes which kept the tank flap closed. It takes a firm, slow pull to get it to unlatch the flap. Please don't break it as that could be expensive and leave the car difficult to refuel. Don't be afraid but just slowing increase the pull until the flap opens up.
So my long distance trips:
  • 463 miles - pickup car and drive home with DVDInmotion.
  • 700 miles each way - weekend trip to Oklahoma using 1 gallon spare can and having to often use the emergency, gas flap release. I used the spare can at 2AM in western Arkansas when a planned truck stop was closed and I wanted to keep the sustained charge. Keep speed between 65-70 mph to avoid tapping into the battery SOC. At 75 mph, the REx can not keep up with the load.
  • 334 miles eclipse trip - a day-trip using BimmerCode tank expansion, three fill-ups, 2.3 gallons, and the 75% REx option. I did not take the spare can as the goal was to measure the usable gas capacity. I also changed the default driving mode to use "Pro" with softer acceleration and slightly moderated A/C to extend the range.
GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Thanks for the advice, helpful and reassuring..

We are looking only at certified cars so will have both remainder of new car warranty and the extended coverage. We'll definitely see how it goes with the fuel release and take it in if we run into problems.

Assuming we find one of course, off to the dealer this morning to see what may very well become ours...

EVBob said:
your trip (either route) is very much within reason with a coded i3.

After you code your i3, I would do the first few trips with the hold SOC at 75%. After a few drives (with some inclement weather) you will get a better feel on how the REx engages and interacts with the battery and also find out the threshold of your i3 for this drive and find the sweet spot where to engage the hold SOC and minimize your gas use without too much anxiety.

I will echo Bob W's statements:
- Bring a spare gas tank with you for the first few trips. It relieves a lot of range anxiety.
- Get comfortable with that green button to release the fuel door

bwilson4web said:
... We found last year that often the tank would not 'depressurize' for several minutes which kept the tank flap closed. It takes a firm, slow pull to get it to unlatch the flap. Please don't break it as that could be expensive and leave the car difficult to refuel. Don't be afraid but just slowing increase the pull until the flap opens up....

If your i3 is still under warranty, you may want to have a dealership check your fuel pressure sensor. On the 1,200 mile north, every time we had to use the green button to open the fuel door almost every time...then 2-3 weeks later we got a fuel system error. The Dealership found out we had a bad Fuel Pressure Sensor. After they replaced it, we never had to use the green button on the 1,200 miles back south.

Don't sweat it too much if its not there, lots of 2014 and 2015s coming off lease now, and it looks like the prices are still dropping.

Re-reading your first post, about driving the i3 to your wife's parent's place - don't forget to bring your level 1 charger with you and maybe a good 12/3 extension cord....or better yet if the parent's have a 220v/dryer outlet in the garage, get an extra level 2 charger for their place ;-)

My thought process on long trips (80 miles or more) is hold soc at 75% period. Why? If your REX fails to activate then you know your car's new limits and when where you now have to adjust fire. Also, you'll be ready to adjust when the chargers are all full or inoperable. Terrain and speeds eat away your range quickly... Add max AC and you'll realize holding at 75% might mean you'll be at 50 percent when you arrive even on 100 mile ride. Emergency force you to return home? 30 minute quick charge or 2 minute fuel up drill... I went from Albuquerque New Mexico to Las Vegas Nevada and learned lessons the easy and hard way on this... Just my two cents though.

EVBob said:
Don't sweat it too much if its not there, lots of 2014 and 2015s coming off lease now, and it looks like the prices are still dropping.

Re-reading your first post, about driving the i3 to your wife's parent's place - don't forget to bring your level 1 charger with you and maybe a good 12/3 extension cord....or better yet if the parent's have a 220v/dryer outlet in the garage, get an extra level 2 charger for their place ;-)

We successfully found one Monday and completed the purchase yesterday - early yet but I'm very pleased with it. I'm a "car guy" and although I appreciate the moral and practical benefits of efficient cars, it not my primary goal. This is really my wife's car but I ended up driving it a fair amount yesterday and I find it entertaining to drive. And since our next newest car is 14 years old, the tech is shockingly modern for us!

Definitely will bring the level one cord when we go. Thought about getting a level 2 one as you suggest but knowing them, they'd get very stressed and worried about the idea of unplugging the dryer to plug in a car....

vigil1221 said:
My thought process on long trips (80 miles or more) is hold soc at 75% period. Why? If your REX fails to activate then you know your car's new limits and when where you now have to adjust fire. Also, you'll be ready to adjust when the chargers are all full or inoperable. Terrain and speeds eat away your range quickly... Add max AC and you'll realize holding at 75% might mean you'll be at 50 percent when you arrive even on 100 mile ride. Emergency force you to return home? 30 minute quick charge or 2 minute fuel up drill... I went from Albuquerque New Mexico to Las Vegas Nevada and learned lessons the easy and hard way on this... Just my two cents though.

Makes sense.

I figure we'll do a few trips and figure out the best way from experience once we get a feel for it. thanks!

chrisbinsb said:
Definitely will bring the level one cord when we go. Thought about getting a level 2 one as you suggest but knowing them, they'd get very stressed and worried about the idea of unplugging the dryer to plug in a car....

You could always get a splitter and leave it and the level 2 there, that way they don't have to unplug/replug anything - just have to remember while visiting, not to run the dryer and the charger at the same time....some splitters have gotten quite fancy...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dryer-Buddy...ash=item2368c3a9ce:g:LN8AAOSwSclXLOkk&vxp=mtr

If you don't want to worry about running both a dryer and the EVSE at the same time, you could put in a transfer switch so that only one receptacle was active at any one time.

I'd be fine plugging and unplugging, it's more a question of my in-law's fear of the unknown when it comes to electricity and new technology...they tend to worry about thing many of wouldn't give a second thought

EVBob said:
chrisbinsb said:

You could always get a splitter and leave it and the level 2 there, that way they don't have to unplug/replug anything - just have to remember while visiting, not to run the dryer and the charger at the same time....some splitters have gotten quite fancy...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dryer-Buddy...ash=item2368c3a9ce:g:LN8AAOSwSclXLOkk&vxp=mtr

chrisbinsb said:
I'd be fine plugging and unplugging, it's more a question of my in-law's fear of the unknown when it comes to electricity and new technology...they tend to worry about thing many of wouldn't give a second thought
One warning would be not to overload the dryer circuit. An EVSE communicates with an EV to determine the current to vend, but it can't communicate with the charging circuit to determine the circuit's capacity. So if the dryer circuit is 30 A, you would need to set your EVSE to vend a maximum of 24 A (80% of the circuit rating is the maximum continuous current).

iDrive supports limiting the current that the car will request from the EVSE, but for Level 2 charging, "Maximum" is 32 A and "Reduced" is 20 A. So you could use iDrive to avoid overloading the charging circuit, but on a 30 A circuit, the "Reduced" setting of 20 A would result in a charging rate that is slower than the circuit would allow.

iDrive supports limiting Level 1 current as well, but the limits depend on which Occasional Use Cable (OUC) was included with your i3. A U.S. i3 has either a 10 A or 12 A OUC. iDrive's "Maximum" Level 1 setting is the current capacity of the OUC, so either 10 A or 12 A. The "Reduced" setting is either 7.5 A or 9 A. For either OUC, the "Low" setting is 6 A. You might need to reduce the charging current when you plug your OUC into a 120 V outlet if other 120 V loads are on the same circuit.

Finally did the trip and had no problems. 100 miles each way. Waited until 30% charge on the way down to activate the rex and we had about 15% battery on arrival, having used about 3/4 of the gas range.

Found a free DC charger 15 minutes from my in-laws house and got back up to about 90% battery, drove to their house, out to lunch and headed home. Filled up the tank on the way back and activated rex at about 20% battery. It's all uphill for the last 3-4 miles to our house so we were down to about 9% charge when we arrived.

All in all, very easy and no problem taking 20 minutes to charge or stopping for gas on the way back. Compared to our former 15 mpg suv, we saved about $40 in gas on that trip alone.

All in all, very easy and an enjoyable ride.

Only thing I would change is more sound deadening for the rex...

Back