My trip in Rex crossing the sierra nevada range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

Did a long trip crossing the high mountain range sierra nevada on a very hot summer day.
The car did quite well
My observations:

While climbing , i had lot of power and was among the fastest drivers
My SOC went down from 64% to 24% with REX running while uphill .

While downhill, i was not the fastest in speed , as i was regenerating continuously

Having AC running at full capacity at zero speeds is a big plus compared to ICE. It does it efficiently as well. I was caught in standstill traffic for an hour. This car is great in hot weather.

On the flip side, if it had been a cold day with the need of heating continuously , i would have done worse in efficiency . Consuming lot of energy , and not being able to use my heat of REX.

I used DC charging , during my trip , with my AC running. It was a hot day 105F / 40C
It looked like the car was not charging fast enough.
I think the charger said around 76 Amp. 3XX (358 or so ) volts at 25% charge . So the charging was reduced by the hot day ? It was a new NRG 100Kwh charger.

Thx

Thanks for the post. I'm curious about your route. Did you take 120 and head east or ?? What were your starting and ending points ?
I've also had problems with DC fast charge in hot weather. The charger will turn off after 5 to 15 minutes and will not restart. Very frustrating. I don't know if the charger was "broken" or what but when I returned on a cooler day it worked fine. Also, on the hot days in question, I returned home and was able to use the supplied L1 charger in my cooler basement with no problems.

Yes, After u remove the tools , which is quick and easy.
I padded with some plastic bags around
Carry can only in long distance. ( and take the small risk )
This can is cheap and best , i did lot of research . Its rated well for ease of use
Leave empty space for altitude and temperature change, carry about 2 gallon / 8 liters max.

Back