Low mileage REX issues?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808i3

Hi, we just picked up a 2014 REX with only a little over 3500 miles. As we were leaving the dealership, we got the warning that it needed to do a maintenance cycle of the gas engine due to prolonged inactivity. Thanks to this forum, I knew not to panic.
But that has for me wondering with such low mileage if the REX had ever even been used by the prior owner. Would the gas get stale? Shall I let the range extender run for a longer period so I can change the gas? Any other issues to be aware of with a low mileage REX? It has been fully maintained and has gotten all the recall work done. The only unusual thing I saw on the maintenance report was that the 12V battery was changed.

It wouldn't hurt to let the REx run, but it probably won't make much of any difference. There are lots of volatile compounds in gasoline that tend to evaporate, but in the i3, the tank is pressurized to help prevent that.

jadnashuanh said:
There are lots of volatile compounds in gasoline that tend to evaporate, but in the i3, the tank is pressurized to help prevent that.

Learn something new everyday. I didn't know that was the reason the tank is pressurized. The gasoline in my REx is more than a year old now - the one it had when I took delivery. I did use some of the gas deliberately trying out the REx on long drives. Otherwise, I'm on batteries most of the time.

With the difference in gasoline formulation between warm and cold seasons in mind, which formulation will keep better given that I rarely use the REx?

Personally, if I were not expecting to use the REx, I'd consider putting some fuel stabilizer in the tank. The stuff is meant to be used. Something like aviation fuel has LOTS more stabilizers in it, and wouldn't be an issue, but the car stuff does have a shelf life. Will you run into problems, probably not. Does the stuff in Canada tend to have alcohol in it? That is less stable than 100% gasoline. Where I live, it's nearly impossible to buy 100% gasoline...almost all of it has 10% ethanol in it, and that isn't as stable.

Alcohol... Regular gasoline has 5% alcohol except for the predominantly cold climate provinces. Premium is sure to have no alcohol.

Thanks for the advice. Short of running dry, I'll use up the rest of the gasoline in my REx and fill up to 1/4 tank only so that the maintenance cycles have something to sip; and use fuel stabilizer. I'll just fill up when I do go for a long drive.

We use Top Tier premium per the recommendation in the owners manual. More additives. We have over 10,000 km on our REx and 39,000 km total in 1 year and 9 months. So never encountered a maintenance cycle. Our 12 volt battery was also replaced.

Back