REX Maintenance Schedule

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srivenkat

Hello All,

I searched on this forum but couldn't find it. Is there a published maintenance schedule for the REX engine or is it all condition based? If the latter, what has been the experience?

Thanks,

Srivenkat

I also have not found any i3 Rex spcecific maintenance schedules other than the oil and filter change every 12 months. However, the Rex engine is a detuned BMW C650 scooter engine. The maintenance schedule for the C650 shows the spark plug change interval to be every 24k miles (40k km).
I calculated that running the Rex gets me around 34mpg. Our tank is 1.9USg (2.4USg if coded).
At 34mpg, you would use 706 USg to travel 24k miles.
So basically, to follow a distance based schedule, the spark plugs should be changed every 372 tank fillups (294 fillups if coded).

I have owned my 2015 i3 Rex for 4 months, filled it up once and still have 3/4 tank of gas. So based on this, I'll be due a spark plug change right around the turn of the Millennium :D

AFAIK, this engine uses a cam chain, not a belt. Given the expected duty cycle, this should last well beyond the serviceable life of the actual car.

Basically, I have decided that my maintenance will consist of oil every 12 months.

Thanks for the info. I wonder how much a oil/filter change would typically cost at a BMW dealership, if any have had it done and had to pay for it.

Since the REX engine is supposedly warranteed for 15 years / 150K miles in USA, I guess one would be looking at about $1500 - $2000 in oil changes before one could start self-maintenance.

I had a brake fluid flush done on my ICE BMW at the dealership, and the charge was $80, not $180. There's nothing particularly unique. I realize that labor rates vary from dealership to dealership, but that still seems excessive. Accessing the engine to do an oil and filter change is a bit more work than on a typical ICE, but at least the materials are less...the thing doesn't hold all that much oil.

Does BMW void warranty if maintenance is done by an outside shop? I remember reading many years back that there's some kind of law in USA that prevents manufacturers from voiding warranty on these grounds.

Found the answer:
------------
Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?
No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select repair facilities if the repair services are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.

-------------
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Back