Well that was fun

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Saturday, my wife, her two dogs, and I drove ~75 miles away to visit a BBQ pit that won an award and then the Wilson Dam fishing area. Once the SOC reached 75%, I enabled the Rex, no problem. But on the way home, the initial 73% setting slowly rose and eventually reached 75%. Thereafter, the REx would stop. But I was also surprised that the REx would continue to run when stopped. When I got home, the SOC was 75%.

I had not seen this before but then I seldom take trips that use the REx if I can help it.

Bob Wilson

Depending on how long the engine was off, once it starts again, it will run long enough to fully warm up (assuming there's enough battery capacity to handle it). Worst thing for any engine is to run a short time, not get fully warmed up, then turn it off. All sorts of condensation gets into the oil and muffler system. I think that time window is around 10-minutes minimum from what I've heard. Now, if it was still warm...no idea.

bwilson4web said:
But I was also surprised that the REx would continue to run when stopped. When I got home, the SOC was 75%.
Bob Wilson

By this, do you mean when stopped at traffic lights? Most of the instances when I had to use the REx were on long drives on the highway. So yes, it does charge the car up to 75%, when given the chance. However, IIRC, on traffic lights, it would stop after 30 secs or so of "idling". I remember thinking, what! that's the best time to charge the battery up. But I guess, with almost all new ICE cars now with start-stop tech, that would be bad form.

Back