questions about used i3 I just purchased

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheVolkinator

Just purchased a used (white) i3 REX. Love it so far. Couple things I don't like that I was hoping you guys could help with

1) When I turn on the car, the beeping starts immediately and I have to click confirm on the screen to get rid of the generic warning message. How do I disable this message?

2) As soon as I start my car, and my bluetooth is on, the songs on my phone start to play immediately (and it starts with the same song which is even more annoying). How do I disable autoplaying songs if my bluetooth is connected? This also happens when I am on the phone and when I hang up, the music from the phone starts playing/

3) No AM radio...is this right? I like AM radio but can't find out how to access it.

TheVolkinator said:
1) When I turn on the car, the beeping starts immediately and I have to click confirm on the screen to get rid of the generic warning message. How do I disable this message?
Install the BimmerCode smartphone app, license it (~$30), and buy a Vgate iCar 2 or 3 OBD dongle (~$20 - the WiFi version might be more reliable than the Bluetooth version). BimmerCode supports changing the values of parameters that affect the behavior of various electronic modules (a.k.a., coding) including turning off this welcome message and beeps.

TheVolkinator said:
3) No AM radio...is this right? I like AM radio but can't find out how to access it.
BimmerCode can activate the AM radio, but electrical interference generated by an i3 can cause significant static.

#2. If ever you figure this out, please share. I have this issue in both my i3 and my 911 Turbo with an aftermarket headunit. Drives me nuts!

I suspect it's more a phone thing though.

If you put your seatbelt on before you turn the car on, you shouldn't be getting any warning chimes or beeps. You'll still get the nav warning screen, but both of those things can be changed via coding.

alohart, I just purchased the Vgate iCar 2 and am using the bimmer app. When I am in the bimmerapp it is asking me to do an in app purchase, but won't connect to the app store because the Vlink won't connect to the internet. Then, if I log out of Vlink but into my regular wifi, I can't get into the bimmercode app. So I am stuck. How do I do an in app purchase on the bimmercode app?

TheVolkinator said:
alohart, I just purchased the Vgate iCar 2 and am using the bimmer app. When I am in the bimmerapp it is asking me to do an in app purchase, but won't connect to the app store because the Vlink won't connect to the internet. Then, if I log out of Vlink but into my regular wifi, I can't get into the bimmercode app. So I am stuck. How do I do an in app purchase on the bimmercode app?

I use Bimercode on an iPhone but when I start the app there is a gear icon on the lower right for the settings menu. While the phone is connected to the internet (not the the Vgate) I did the in-app purchase to unlock coding (in the app settings menu). Then once the unlock is complete I disconnect from my regular WiFi and connect to the Vgate to complete the programming.
-Tim

Maybe the factory settings on my Canada 2017 REx are different... Are you referring to the Navigation warning message? With mine, it goes away after about 3 seconds or so, when I don't dismiss it. Which is why I didn't find the need to code to get rid of it.

With regard to #3, I just watched a BMW video explaining that a lot of AM stations are simulcast on HD radio extra stations i.e. HD1 is the HD version of your station but HD2 may be the simulcast of the AM sister station. This is their workaround.

https://youtu.be/Rk0cdD4y_-8

AnthonyD42 said:
With regard to #3, I just watched a BMW video explaining that a lot of AM stations are simulcast on HD radio extra stations i.e. HD1 is the HD version of your station but HD2 may be the simulcast of the AM sister station. This is their workaround.

Hey thanks for this :)

I was able to get my wife's favorite AM station now on her i3 using the HD radio option as you described above.

Back