What kind of REx failure would it take to make the i3 totally inoperable?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBob

Greetings All,

As far as reliability/durability - I think we can all agree the weak point of the i3 REx is the REx system/components?

So far, every time when I get a CEL or that one notification that the REx could not start (that one was due to bad fuel pressure sensor) - the i3 ran just fine as a BEV until we took it in.

Is there any particular REx system failure that could make an i3 totally undriveable? As long as the i3 was charged and treated as just a BEV, it could continue running indefinitely (until an Ev component breaks down) just with a bunch of warning indicators? The i3 would continue to run even if the REx failed to start during its maintenance start every 6 weeks?

An i3 REx owner in L.A. suffered a serious REx problem after having driven slightly more than 100k miles (i.e., expired warranty). The repair cost was very high, so he has continued driving it as a BEV, apparently without any problems. So doing what you suggest seems to be possible.

If you look at the parts diagrams, you'll find that the shocks and springs (and probably other things) are different between the REx version and the BEV. The control modules would probably give you an error, but it may not keep you from driving it...don't know. Taking out the 300+ pounds would likely make the rear end sit high and mess up the alignment and handling without changing those, too. Not sure the headlights have enough range of adjustment to compensate, either.

Back