Strong smell of gas from engine area

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

I've smelled gasoline off and on at different intersections. But Sunday at the dog park, I got a strong odor at the rear and noticed my tank was down 1/4 without having run the engine. I scheduled an early morning appointment for tomorrow, Tuesday, the first open spot on their web page.

I have plenty of charge and can drive EV there. However, I'm wondering if it might make sense to have it towed there?

FYI, I had the gas pressure sensor fixed about 60 days ago.

Bob Wilson

Good question
Every time a Tesla catches on fire it's a news event and a big investigation
Every time a gas powered car catches on fire it doesn't make the news because "it happens".
As you know, the fuel tank is pressurized and so apparently there's a leak. It only takes a spark.....
I believe I'd have it towed.

We have a diagnosis:
SMS_100.jpg

Received Tuesday afternoon, looks like I'll have it back Friday.

Bob Wilson

Since we are discussing this, I still do get this burning smell , when i use my rex. Its been close to 2 years , and I have used rex multiple times, but definitely with long gaps into weeks.
Is this normal or what ?

Picked up the car this morning but didn't get any details on the repair. So one of their techs drove the BMW to the house while I returned in the Prius Prime.

On the way back to the dealer, I had the tech drive while I explained the car features and had him try them. The only thing we didn't do is run the REx and do some high-speed driving on the highway.

Bob Wilson

Back