When Electricity is more per mile than Gas

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tacfoto

On a recent 375 mile road trip in my 2017 REx I was pleased to find a DC Fast Charging station just off the freeway. It was at a gas station and they had a small store as well. On the down side it was not close to anything else. I pulled in with only 11 miles remaining range.

I connected, dipped my credit card and started charging within 10 minutes (only one phone call needed to reset the charger!) 33 minutes later I had an 80% charge. (well 74% more as I had 6% when I arrived) so about 80 miles more range. Cost $1 + $.30 minute for an $10.65 charge. There was a little rain falling and the charging stations had no roof. (It's just 480volts though so why would you want to be dry?)

I then moved to the gas pump and took 2 gallons of premium. The gas pumps had a nice roof, and took my credit card with no phone calls required. < 1 minute later I had about 80 miles more range on the REx. Cost: $6.35.

So electricity was only 70% more than gasoline!

Network was Electrify America, owned by VW. https://www.plugshare.com/location/146815

The only time I use DCFC with my REx is to replenish the battery to 75% so I can maintain a higher speed with the REx in Hold mode. Also, if staying overnight I use L2 to fill up. Otherwise gas is cheaper and quicker on the road trips. Last DCFC I used I was getting rained on too. However, I could make a long range Model 3 work fine too.

Back