Benchmark

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

HSV_Manchester_Nash_HSV_010a.jpg

• $26.97 - EV electric cost, 143 mi
    • $11.50 - Electrify America, 15.515 kWh, 32 min.
    • $14.70 - EVgo, 14.93 kWh, 42 min.
    • $0.77 - home, 7.74 kWh, 98 min. (1h 38m)
  • $6.26 - Costco, 2.302 gal (premium), 5 min., 111 mi
    • ~5 mi EV, to top off gas in Nashville (left home 3/4 tank)
    • ~2 mi EV, ran out of gas approaching Costco
  • Caught in Nashville rush hour . . . saved a bunch of electrons
    • dynamic cruise control + power mode (Comfort) is a winner
    • stay alert but calm with music and A/C
  • Google miles do not including trying to find Nashville EVgo charger and sensible route changes.
Bob Wilson

i3Houston said:
Here in Texas it will be significantly cheaper to drive an ICE!
Not if you can charge at home...if you have the time (like if you're going to a movie or out to eat or shopping), a L2 EVSE is generally a lot cheaper than a CCS unit, and more of them are free.

If you're using your i3 REx as a long-distance vehicle, and those trips aren't frequent, it may be cheaper than maintaining a second ICE for those trips. Personally, with today's infrastructure, I wouldn't take a REx on a long trip unless it was my only choice, but that's me. I can go 500-miles in my ICE without stopping unless I want to for some reason...using the REx, you don't have any choice.

HSV_Shelbyville_Nash_HSV_010a.jpg

• $18.80 - EV cost
    • $4.40 - (est) Blink, 7.626 kWh, 1 h 25 min
    • $13.65 - EVgo, 16.35 kWh, 39 min
    • $0.75 - home, 7.487 kWh, 1h 37 min
  • $6.15 - Costco, 2.252 gal (premium) 5 min, 106 miles
    • ~6 mi EV, to visit Tesla Store, top off tank, late lunch
  • Shelbyville Blink charger broken and no maintenance contract. Continued to very nice Nissan dealer for a free charge. Estimated the cost, $4.40, for 1h 25m (85 min) at a working Blink charger.
FACEBOOK POSTING

I repeated my EV drive to Nashville and return on gas to visit the Tesla Store in Brentwood a southern suburb. A shorter distance, the L2 (208-240 VAC) Blink charger in Shelbyville TN was down so my fallback was the Nissan dealer five miles down the road.

Open business hours, Nissan let me charge the car while in their customer lounge. In 85 minutes the 24A charger gave just enough, 7.626 kWh, to reach the fast DC charger at Brentwood WMCA with a 10 mile reserve. There it took 39 minutes, 16.35 kWh at a cost of $13.65 including pre-cooling the cabin. Enough to reach the Tesla Store.

The Tesla Store lot was full of Teslas with a small staff of 6-8 training new owners on their car. This attention to quality reduces future problems but means turnover, completing sales, takes longer. So I asked, 'If I wanted one, would I have to order it over the web?'

The Tesla rep said, 'We could get you one of our standard configurations in about four weeks." Those are committed cars in the lot, undelivered inventory. Tesla chose quality over quantity so they are slow to move out. Next door, the Lexus dealer had four salesmen sitting in lawn chairs waiting for customers.

The gas drive back burned $6.25, 2.252 gal of premium, with a 1 mile reserve. So $18.80 EV and ~5 hrs outbound versus $6.15 gas ~2 hrs to return.

Bob Wilson

FWIW, while the statistic takes awhile to be updated, so today's vehicles may differ, Tesla has had the highest warranty repair costs by a factor of over 400% of any car brand out there. SO much for quality...last report I saw indicated the average warranty cost on a Tesla was over $8K compared to a few hundred for some of the best.

jadnashuanh said:
i3Houston said:
Here in Texas it will be significantly cheaper to drive an ICE!
Not if you can charge at home...if you have the time (like if you're going to a movie or out to eat or shopping), a L2 EVSE is generally a lot cheaper than a CCS unit, and more of them are free.

If you're using your i3 REx as a long-distance vehicle, and those trips aren't frequent, it may be cheaper than maintaining a second ICE for those trips. Personally, with today's infrastructure, I wouldn't take a REx on a long trip unless it was my only choice, but that's me. I can go 500-miles in my ICE without stopping unless I want to for some reason...using the REx, you don't have any choice.

I was specifically talking about charging rates at EVgo, it would probably cost less to rent a ICE car to drive 300-400 miles. :)

Now power is so inexpensive in Texas, I have 100% renewable plan at about ~11cents per kw. Non-renewable is even cheaper! I was planning to install solar panels but given the low energy rate, ROI can take over 10 years or more.

i3 does not offer the storage space for road trips and kinda uncomfortable at freeway speeds in TX. Still like wifes' v6 SUV.

jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, while the statistic takes awhile to be updated, so today's vehicles may differ, Tesla has had the highest warranty repair costs by a factor of over 400% of any car brand out there. SO much for quality...last report I saw indicated the average warranty cost on a Tesla was over $8K compared to a few hundred for some of the best.

Something is strange about tesla Model S owners. I am yet to see one car that does not look like to have just come out of a Car wash! I think they make warranty claim on every door ding or rock chip so that might have lead to higher repair rate.

i3Houston said:
jadnashuanh said:
I was specifically talking about charging rates at EVgo, it would probably cost less to rent a ICE car to drive 300-400 miles. :)
I just checked Enterprise for Houston and they list a 4-seat, Economy at $36.73(*) where "*" means "*Rates, taxes, and fees do not reflect rates, taxes and fees applicable to non-included coverages, extras added later or to coverages required if the customer fails to provide acceptable proof of current liability coverages."

Would you like to revise your earlier comment?
i3Houston said:
jadnashuanh said:
Now power is so inexpensive in Texas, I have 100% renewable plan at about ~11cents per kw. Non-renewable is even cheaper! I was planning to install solar panels but given the low energy rate, ROI can take over 10 years or more.
Poor baby! I live in the TVA area and only pay $0.10/kWh and that is consistent across N. Alabama and E. Tennessee. You are getting raped by Texas.
i3Houston said:
i3 does not offer the storage space for road trips and kinda uncomfortable at freeway speeds in TX. Still like wifes' v6 SUV.
That says more about the crappy roads of Texas. My wife and I took a trip from Huntsville AL, Northern Mississippi, SW Tennessee, Arkansas, and Eastern Oklahoma and the roads and rides were wonderful! No complaints from wife or her two dogs. Really, you have a problem with inferior Texas roads.
As a native Oklahoman, I admire your honesty about Texas. As many Oklahomans say, "Why does the wind always blow towards Texas?"

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
i3Houston said:
jadnashuanh said:
I just checked Enterprise for Houston and they list a 4-seat, Economy at $36.73(*) where "*" means "*Rates, taxes, and fees do not reflect rates, taxes and fees applicable to non-included coverages, extras added later or to coverages required if the customer fails to provide acceptable proof of current liability coverages."

Would you like to revise your earlier comment?
i3Houston said:
Poor baby! I live in the TVA area and only pay $0.10/kWh and that is consistent across N. Alabama and E. Tennessee. You are getting raped by Texas.

That says more about the crappy roads of Texas. My wife and I took a trip from Huntsville AL, Northern Mississippi, SW Tennessee, Arkansas, and Eastern Oklahoma and the roads and rides were wonderful! No complaints from wife or her two dogs. Really, you have a problem with inferior Texas roads.
As a native Oklahoman, I admire your honesty about Texas. As many Oklahomans say, "Why does the wind always blow towards Texas?"

Bob Wilson

It would not be needed-

1) $36 for a day is still cheaper than charging i3 at EVgo. I have never paid $36 for a economy rental though, corporate rates are much lower.
1.1) You have not considered cost associated with 'wait-time' at EVgo.

2) Difference between your rate $.10/KWh and $.11 is ONE cent. Your choice of words makes one wonder if you read that correctly! Just curious if you included delivery and other charges etc.

Texas roads are as good as they should be. Its the speed limit thats not EV friendly, freeway I take to Austin has speed limit of 85mph, imagine pulling that off in an i3. I am sure you had a great trip, do you really think it was because roads in Oklahoma were better!! :!:

Texas is #1 state to produce most energy from Solar and Wind!!

Sorry, sometimes my sense of mirth doesn't come through.

The last time I was in Texas was to drive a 2003 Prius from Fort Worth back to Huntsville. Back then some stretches of I-20 needed help.

Bob Wilson

Now we have a basis of estimate:
  • EV only fast DC - ($11.50 + $14.70) / (75 mi + 68 mi) ~= $0.18 / mi
  • gas + 20 mi - ($6.26 + $0.77) / 111 mi ~= $0.06 / mi
  • EV only L2 _ fast DC - ($4.40 + $13.65) / (59 mi + 5 mi + 44 mi) ~= $0.17 / mi
  • gas + 20 mi - ($6.15 + $0.75) / 106 mi ~= $0.06 / mi
The next question is what happens if you blend EV and gas at the maximum posted speed limit which in the USA adds 5 mph?

Earlier benchmarks show the BMW i3-REx at 75 mph costs ~38 MPG + 20% SOC per hour. So I'm thinking:
  • HSV-to-Nashville - includes posted 70-75 mph segment on I65.
  • Nashviille-to-Manchester - 70-75 mph segment on I24
  • Manchester-to-Nashville - 70-75 mph segment on I24
  • Nashville-to-HSV - 70-75 mph segment on I65
I may combined the last two segments making Nashville just a way point. This potentially measures the maximum range in blended gas and EV.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
Sorry, sometimes my sense of mirth doesn't come through.

The last time I was in Texas was to drive a 2003 Prius from Fort Worth back to Huntsville. Back then some stretches of I-20 needed help.

Bob Wilson

No worries:)

Back