Rex driving

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seasidenj

New BMW I3 Rex owner 2014 just over 10,000 miles I think I got a great deal so I'm pretty stoked right now.

As far as the post on driving with the Rex engine I look at it this way if you ever had a boat or a rode a motorcycle. With an outboard motor it's usually running at a constant speed for extended length of time and never really a problem and in a motorcycle I'm used to stopping for gas more often than the car. Also on a motorcycle I usually don't drive on highways but take the back roads and they do the same with the i3.

I also downloaded the plugshare app and plan trips to locations that have free charging explore the area. I'll also go to dealerships plugin for free and read a book or listen to Tunes just a little getaway I guess. I'm also fortunate that where I live in Seaside they just installed about 8 charging stations just a few blocks from my house so I can plug in get a fast charge take a nice long walk do a few things and my car is fully charged although the cost, a dollar fifty an hour is about the same as it would cost for me to plug in at my home with my current electric rate but at least I have the option for a quick charge. Just my two cents thought I would share.

Congrats and welcome!

Code the REx HSOC with Bimmercode if you want to take longer highway trips, makes a world of difference :)

SSi3 said:
Congrats and welcome!

Code the REx HSOC with Bimmercode if you want to take longer highway trips, makes a world of difference :)

I agree. This is almost mandatory for taking a long trip. We just took a trip to Sacramento from Hermosa Beach and twice (once each way) we had to tap into the battery reserve because there was not a gas station where we expected. Northbound just a big gap without an exit with gas and southbound we stopped at a station that was close for repairs and then a big gap to the next one. Fortunately with HSOC we kept it between 25-30% and when we "ran out of gas" we were able to make it to an exit with gas by switching back to electric. If it switched at the default 6% we would not have survived either of these mistakes without a tow. I'm thinking I may keep it closer to 50% on the next long trip. Other than the short gas range, it makes a great road trip car.

palmermd said:
SSi3 said:
Congrats and welcome!

I agree. This is almost mandatory for taking a long trip. We just took a trip to Sacramento from Hermosa Beach and twice (once each way) we had to tap into the battery reserve because there was not a gas station where we expected. Northbound just a big gap without an exit with gas and southbound we stopped at a station that was close for repairs and then a big gap to the next one. Fortunately with HSOC we kept it between 25-30% and when we "ran out of gas" we were able to make it to an exit with gas by switching back to electric. If it switched at the default 6% we would not have survived either of these mistakes without a tow. I'm thinking I may keep it closer to 50% on the next long trip. Other than the short gas range, it makes a great road trip car.

Other than coding the car, I also keep a two gallon spare can in the frunk. This has come in handy and doesn't slow me down on my trips from Torrance to the Bay area. On my last trip I stopped on an exit, filled the tank and went all the way to San luis Obispo, charged the car and then non stop to Santa Clara.

Back