Help with Public Charging Cable for i3 60AH

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lagerwall

Hi Folks,

New EV owner here. I just picked up a BMW used and approved i3 REX 60AH, unfortunately my BMW garage did not supply me with a public charging cable and only a 3 pin plug in charge for home as the previous owner kept theirs as they moved to a i3 90AH. So I've been reading and people have been saying don't use a cable that's for a 90AH on a 60AH i3. I would just like to confirm what cable I need to get to be able to charge at a public charge point for the 60AH?

Note, my BMW specifies that it's a DC Rapid Charge.

TIA

First, a little terminology help. The charger is located in your car. The device you use to supply power to your car is called a EVSE. Most people, including me, make the mistake of calling the EVSE a charger, but that's not technically correct.

I'm not sure what you're asking. All the public charging stations that I know about already have a charging cable. Are you talking about a public outlet where you have to bring your own EVSE ("charger") ?

In general there are 3 types of EVSE's, sometimes called chargers. One type plugs into 110V and uses a J1772 connector to plug into your car. Another plugs into 220V and uses the same J1772 to connect to your car. The third is a DC fast charge which uses a CCS/SAE adapter to plug into your car. This type is not for home use. As far as the cable to use, just use the cable that comes with the EVSE (charger) regardless of which battery you have. Your BMW has both the J1772 charging port and the CCS/SAE port so you can use either of the 3 EVSE's (chargers) mentioned above. Again, don't worry about the cable because the supplied cable on the EVSE is sufficient.

Note that some BMW branded EVSE's ("chargers") have been recalled and should not be used.

Let us know if you need more info, and congratulations on your i3 !

theothertom said:
I'm not sure what you're asking. All the public charging stations that I know about already have a charging cable. Are you talking about a public outlet where you have to bring your own EVSE ("charger") ?
This is very typical here in the U.S.A., however in Europe having to provide your own cable is common.

I'll assume that you're in the UK. If so, all you should need is a type 2 to type 2 cable that's rated for 32A. Something like this should work:
https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/by-car/bmw-electric-cars/bmw-i3-charging-cables/euro-series-type-2-to-type-2-blue.html

If you're looking for an original charge cable that's BMW branded, part number 61902350237 should help you out.

Note, my BMW specifies that it's a DC Rapid Charge.
The cable for that should already be on the DC unit.

I should have specified, I am in the UK correct. We've got some charging points with cables but they're mainly found at Motorway/Highway stations. But you'll find mostly stations where you require your own cable for plug in charge.

Thanks TheMK, I did talk to a BMW garage and they seemed a bit unsure and said any cable will do that fits my i3, which was not what I read up, so I thought I'd just ask here. I'll be ordering one this week. Thanks for the helpful info.

Back