How long have you delayed filling up your REx's gas tank.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMK

When using the "Hold state of charge" function, it's so tempting to run the tank "dry" (the computer leaves about 0.2L of fuel in there to keep the fuel pump covered), because you have power in the battery to continue driving. At the completion of a 100mi trip on Tuesday, I haven't stopped by the gas station, even though my car is registering zero fuel in the tank.

I've gotten 9L in the tank according to the computer, the pump usually read somewhere in the range of 2.3X gallons. I think I hit 2.4 gallons once by "topping it off".

I would say that means the coding changes worked.

The way the i3 pressurizes the fuel tank can help minimize volatile fuel components from separating, but it's probably better to keep the tank full most of the time versus empty. If you live where they mandate E10, I'd try to keep it full AND use it periodically to help prevent issues.

Good thing I can get ethanol free here. It seems to last longer, in an open system like in my Snowblower. In a closed system, like the i3 REx, it should still last longer, but you should be able to get away with keeping E10 fuel in there for longer periods of time.

Back