Help: CA HOV Decals - do I need the license plate first?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wastedspacer

Just picked up my new i3 BEV on Saturday, looking at the California DMV HOV Decal application it looks like you need to fill out the VIN and License before you can apply. Is this correct or can you send in the application with just the VIN (since I am waiting for the new license plate to arrive)?

Any assistance appreciated.

As other have already posted, you need your plate number first.

However......because of the time it was taking to get the white stickers, my wife was commuting daily in the HOV lane by herself without them. So far she has been passed by 4 officers of the law without being pulled over or even a second look.
This is on the 405 Fwy between Rosecrans and Wilshire Blvd for those of you in SoCal. It seems the i3 is so obviously an EV they don't bother, better to pull over an ICE with one person in it.

BTW, do the same at your own risk, not responsible for the actions of stricter minded Chips!

You can always just say your stickers are in the mail. Its a very reasonable explanation.

I bought from El Cajon BMW and they had the decals/decal registration for me. I was confused because having previously researched the process, I had prepared for a lengthy PITA saga. The salesman didn't have a detailed explanation but basically said that El Cajon was one of a few dealerships that can get them for the vehicle before it's purchased. I wasn't going to argue :D

I just picked up the wife's i3 Rex from South Bay BMW. I read on the site that they have met their 85k stickers. Anyone know if this is a hard cap or will they be issuing more for 2016?

Richm3ister said:
I just picked up the wife's i3 Rex from South Bay BMW. I read on the site that they have met their 85k stickers. Anyone know if this is a hard cap or will they be issuing more for 2016?
You need to see if a new bill will be passed to raise that limit (again). As of right now, I have not seen a new bill on the table for this.

They hit their limit on Dec 18, and my check cleared on Dec 15, so I barely made the cut. I mailed in my decal app on 11/30, and the DMV received it on 12/3. My app was processed in less than 2 weeks.

Sorry to rub it in with the pic, but I'm a happy camper here :)

HOV_Decals.jpg

had her a year now

never did apply the green stickers ... theyre in the glovebox

dont like how they look ... how a car looks is paramount to me

i drive as a single in the carpool lanes most days

never a problem

;)

Back