MD EVSE install rebate

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macgreiner

Has anyone here claimed the Maryland rebate for EVSE install? It looks like they will give 50% off charger and Electrician work up to $900. I'm curious as to how much it would cost to get the 240v wired to the garage and if the $900 would make a serious difference to this?

Yes. Yet another perk to driving an EV in Maryland. My rebate check was ~$800. I interviewed three local electricians to have a 50A circuit trenched to my detached garage. Note that the install has to pass inspection to receive the rebate.

It's free money in exchange for filling out a form and following directions — it's a no brainer.

Depending on where the wires need to be run, it could easily be much less than $900, or more. The size of the wire is fairly expensive, and labor costs add up. Mine was a fairly short run, essentially across the garage, and the install was about $400 including permit. I had the electrician do some other things while there, and spend more than that, but I'm guessing that $400 was about the cost of the EVSE install. Lots of EVSE's out there in the $400-500 range for the hardware, excluding installation.

Most of the EVSE's are rated for outside use, but the install can be more expensive depending on what is needed. Using a plug means, generally, a larger circuit than if hard-wired. Code requires things that can be used continuously for more than a couple of hours to utilize the 80% rule...you can't use more than 80% of the power the line is rated for (so, say on a 32A unit, it must be run with at least a 40A circuit).

Our electrician in Columbia charged $510, including permit (which is required for rebate) for an in garage installation. The charger cost a little less than $600 from Amazon. Rebate check arrived a few weeks after submission.

Thanks all. Had an electrician out today to give me an estimate due tomorrow. It sounds like a fair bit or access hole sawing and feeding through cavities to get a line to our garage. I have a feeling this is going to hurt.

websterize said:
Yes. Yet another perk to driving an EV in Maryland. My rebate check was ~$800. I interviewed three local electricians to have a 50A circuit trenched to my detached garage. Note that the install has to pass inspection to receive the rebate.

It's free money in exchange for filling out a form and following directions — it's a no brainer.

So just had the install done. The electrician now says that the inspection certificate for the rebate will be extra and require another visit/fee. At this rate even with the rebate money, it seems as though I'll be coming out even compared to if I had run the wriring myself!
Am I missing something?

websterize said:
With Maryland paying 50% of the EVSE cost/installation (capped at $900), how would you "come out even," regardless of whom ran the wire?

So far I have spent:
$500 EVSE unit
$1200 on install fees + potentially
$250
________
$1950

The rebate I am applying for maxes out at $900 - so this will cost me $1050 going the rebate route. If I had chosen not to go the rebate route I could have run the wire ($ est. $100) and bought the EVSE for $600 total. Remind me again as to how this qualifies as an incentive?

macgreiner said:
Remind me again as to how this qualifies as an incentive?
I'm at a loss ... although if you had gone the do-it-yourself route, the state would have given you 50% the cost for just the EVSE. I'd call that an incentive.

It's odd the electrician didn't include the permit/inspection fee as part of the quote before he began work. $250 is an unfortunate surprise.

websterize said:
macgreiner said:
Remind me again as to how this qualifies as an incentive?
I'm at a loss ... although if you had gone the do-it-yourself route, the state would have given you 50% the cost for just the EVSE. I'd call that an incentive.

It's odd the electrician didn't include the permit/inspection fee as part of the quote before he began work. $250 is an unfortunate surprise.
Agreed. And I told them as much. Anyway, all done. Glad to have the quick charge. I'm surprised what a difference it makes.

In many places, in a single family dwelling, you can get an electrical permit for work you do yourself. That also means you must do it according to code, but finding out what's specifically required isn't all that hard to do. Now, will an electrician get it done faster? Probably, but not necessarily better. So, if the requirement is just that it has to be inspected, that should still work, but you can't pay yourself for labor! The permit cost should be able to apply to your total costs, though.

Back