London - ULEZ / congestion charge questions 2016 to 2020+

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molybdenum99

London help needed.

After more than a year of deliberation am now looking for replace 2010 Prius with i3.

Main reason being that Prius loses congestion charge exemption in June 2016 which is a problem for us.

I understand that the i3 REX is congestion charging exempt.

First question: is there any indication that this may change?

As a follow up, according to TFL, from 2020 central London will become an Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and vehicles which do not meet certain criteria will be liable for a daily charge over and above the congestion charge. It is difficult from the published information to glean exactly what the criteria for exemption will be.

Second question: does anyone have an idea if only the i3 BEV or both the BEV and the REX will be exempt from this ULEZ charge?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Difficult to answer what the future might bring. I certainly haven't seen any announcements yet. My guess is that both BEV and REx will remain exempt. Worst case scenario is that a BEV would be exempt and the REx not - this would be a very extreme scenario. But then, when you follow the news these days - what isn't extreme? ;)

Back