UK - which cables....?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molybdenum99

Quick question - which cable(s) does the i3 range extender come with?

I'll be charging partly from regular three-pin mains socket and partly from public chargers (type 2) and partly from rapid DC chargers (intend to include this option on the order).

Ta

When we bought ours in late 2014, no cables, just the occasional use charger which charges slowly off the normal 3 pin plug.

molybdenum99, I would suggest that you buy a 32amp public charging cable as most type 2 chargers will not come with tethered cables. The consensus in the UK is that the BMW cable (commonly referred to as the "blue python") is not only the best but usually the cheapest - it was £165. If you don't want to take your custom to your local BMW dealer there is a very good german supplier procarshop.de which sells official BMW parts at prices including shipping lower than available in the UK. Their service (3 working days delivery) is excellent - I have used them a couple of times and know that they have been recommended by others.

Whilst it's better to have the 32 amp cable you can manage without it if you have a ReX - i've rarely used mine in a year. I've charged a lot at Rapids and at home I have a 32A tethered cable.

Back